Sep 12, 2011, 8:54 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Citi Field hosts the Nats this week.
The Nationals want to use this month of September to gauge the readiness of several young players, and there are several of them in the lineup for tonight's series opener against the Mets.
Steve Lombardozzi (hitless in his first 12 big-league at-bats) is starting at second base and batting second. That means Danny Espinosa, who broke out of his slump yesterday with two doubles, is on the bench. He'll be joined there by Ian Desmond, who also gets a rare day off, with Brian Bixler starting at shortstop and leading off.
Chris Marrero, meanwhile, is back at first base, hoping to continue to produce the way he has the last several days (five RBI over his last three days). And Ross Detwiler is on the mound, hoping once again to establish himself as a viable member of the Nationals' rotation moving forward.
I'm not in New York for this series, so please enjoy the game and the conversation among yourselves…
NATIONALS at METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 76 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to CF
SS Brian Bixler
2B Steve Lombardozzi
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox