Sep 14, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
For the first time since the franchise arrived in Washington, the Nationals will open a season against an opponent from outside the NL East.
Major League Baseball announced its 2012 schedule this morning, a slate that will open for the Nationals on April 5 at the Cubs. Following three-game series in both Chicago and New York against the Mets, they'll host the Reds in their April 12 home opener.
In each of the previous seven seasons, the Nationals had opened against division rivals: the Phillies (2005, 2010), Mets (2006), Marlins (2007, 2009) and Braves (2008, 2011).
The 2012 interleague schedule has the Nationals facing all five teams from the AL East, including the Yankees (June 15-17) and Rays (June 19-21) at home and the Red Sox (June 8-10) and Blue Jays (June 11-13) on the road.
The annual Battle of the Beltways series against the Orioles takes place May 18-20 at Nationals Park and June 22-24 at Camden Yards.
The season will conclude at home Oct. 1-3 against the Phillies.
Here's the full schedule…
April 4, 6-7 at Cubs
April 9-11 at Mets
APRIL 12-15 VS REDS
APRIL 16-19 VS ASTROSRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman delivers latest game-winner for Nats
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Phillies 3 (10)
- Zimmermann likely to avoid DL with biceps strain
- Strasburg faces Hamels in pitching showdown
- Nats have zero All-Stars after Zimmermann replaced
- Harper homers but still battling out of slump
- Nats lose Zimmermann, fall to Phillies 6-2
- Zimmermann hopeful biceps cramp isn't serious
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half