Sep 16, 2011, 11:44 PM EDT
Easily the Nationals’ most-consistent offensive player this season, Morse has endured through a mini-slump this month. In 13 September games, he’s batting a scant .189 with a .232 on-base percentage and 19 strikeouts.
So manager Davey Johnson decided to give Morse (along with right fielder Jayson Werth) a rare day off for the opener of a weekend series against the Marlins.
What has prompted this decrease in production? Is Morse simply wearing down at the end of his first full season as an everyday big leaguer?
“That can happen,” Johnson said. “He’s a big guy and plays hard. A change of position, that can also happen. And I would’ve liked to
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon