Sep 16, 2011, 11:44 PM EST
Easily the Nationals’ most-consistent offensive player this season, Morse has endured through a mini-slump this month. In 13 September games, he’s batting a scant .189 with a .232 on-base percentage and 19 strikeouts.
So manager Davey Johnson decided to give Morse (along with right fielder Jayson Werth) a rare day off for the opener of a weekend series against the Marlins.
What has prompted this decrease in production? Is Morse simply wearing down at the end of his first full season as an everyday big leaguer?
“That can happen,” Johnson said. “He’s a big guy and plays hard. A change of position, that can also happen. And I would’ve liked to
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres