Sep 17, 2011, 3:21 AM EST
US Presswire photo
John Lannan suffered his sixth loss in seven starts.
Perhaps it’s a sign of the legitimate progress they’ve made — or, at the very least, the impressive sweep they just pulled off in New York earlier this week — that a game like the Nationals slogged their way through Friday night felt so lackluster.
Truth be told, this 3-0 loss to the Marlins hardly qualified as a disaster of a ballgame. Sure, John Lannan struggled early, but he still managed to go six innings allowing three runs (the minimum definition of a “quality” start). A lineup that pounded out 10 runs Thursday afternoon at Citi Field didn’t come close to producing one run in the opener of this weekend series, but Marlins starter Javier Vazquez deserves some credit for tossing the eighth shutout of his career.
“The thing is,” Lannan said, “you run into a buzzsaw every once in a while.”
And a finely tuned buzzsaw can kill all the momentum you thought you had going for you during a five-game winning streak.
“Just because we lost the game doesn’t mean it’s not going to carry over,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “Lannan came out and did a good job: Six innings, three runs. We didn’t play bad, I don’t think.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher