Sep 17, 2011, 3:21 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan suffered his sixth loss in seven starts.
Perhaps it’s a sign of the legitimate progress they’ve made — or, at the very least, the impressive sweep they just pulled off in New York earlier this week — that a game like the Nationals slogged their way through Friday night felt so lackluster.
Truth be told, this 3-0 loss to the Marlins hardly qualified as a disaster of a ballgame. Sure, John Lannan struggled early, but he still managed to go six innings allowing three runs (the minimum definition of a “quality” start). A lineup that pounded out 10 runs Thursday afternoon at Citi Field didn’t come close to producing one run in the opener of this weekend series, but Marlins starter Javier Vazquez deserves some credit for tossing the eighth shutout of his career.
“The thing is,” Lannan said, “you run into a buzzsaw every once in a while.”
And a finely tuned buzzsaw can kill all the momentum you thought you had going for you during a five-game winning streak.
“Just because we lost the game doesn’t mean it’s not going to carry over,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “Lannan came out and did a good job: Six innings, three runs. We didn’t play bad, I don’t think.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals