Sep 18, 2011, 4:19 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg dominated for six innings but wound up with another no-decision.
He blew away one of baseball’s best young sluggers with a 99 mph fastball. He displayed remarkable efficiency that allowed him to complete six innings on a mere 61 pitches. And his command of the strike zone was dazzling, resulting in yet another walk-free outing.
Stephen Strasburg had every right Saturday night to stand before reporters and cameras and gloat about his triumphant return from Tommy John surgery. Yet the right-hander’s postgame demeanor — terse and unemotional — suggested a level of disgust that didn’t jibe with his earlier dominance on the mound.
Why? Because the Nationals ultimately lost another game to the Marlins, this one by a 4-1 count in 13 innings.
Competitor that he is, Strasburg wasn’t about to pat himself on the back inside a clubhouse of otherwise frustrated teammates.
“It felt good out there,” he said. “Unfortunately, we battled hard and they just got the best of us, so it was a tough game.”
Sure, the only stat that truly counts from Saturday’s game was the final score, the latest in a ever-growing list of losses to the Marlins. When reliever Collin Balester surrendered three runs in the top of the 13th, the Nationals dropped their second straight to Florida and fell
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays