Sep 18, 2011, 10:07 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Chien-Ming Wang earned his third win with 6 2/3 strong innings.
The way he’s throwing these days, it’s easy to forget just how far Chien-Ming Wang has come in a short time.
Only two months ago, Wang was laboring through a couple of rehab starts at Class AAA, raising some questions about his ability to ever recapture the form it would require to win again at the big-league level.
“In Syracuse when he was rehabbing, you saw glimpses of it, but the velocity wasn’t there,” said Tommy Milone, who has now shared a rotation spot with Wang in both the minors and majors. “He was still mid-80s, and his sinker was working occasionally. I think now, just from throwing every fifth day, he’s back to what he used to be.”
If Wang hasn’t completely resurrected himself into the pitcher that won 19 games for the Yankees in both 2006 and 2007, he sure seems close to it. And during the Nationals’ 4-3 victory over the Marlins Sunday afternoon, he took another key step toward completing that comeback, recording 20 outs and throwing 93 pitches for the first time in three years.
It was by no means a perfect outing, and it certainly ended on a sour note — Brett Hayes belted a two-run homer with two outs in the top of the seventh — but it did provide further evidence of how much Wang has progressed and how he has positioned himself to return to the
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers