Sep 18, 2011, 10:07 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Chien-Ming Wang earned his third win with 6 2/3 strong innings.
The way he’s throwing these days, it’s easy to forget just how far Chien-Ming Wang has come in a short time.
Only two months ago, Wang was laboring through a couple of rehab starts at Class AAA, raising some questions about his ability to ever recapture the form it would require to win again at the big-league level.
“In Syracuse when he was rehabbing, you saw glimpses of it, but the velocity wasn’t there,” said Tommy Milone, who has now shared a rotation spot with Wang in both the minors and majors. “He was still mid-80s, and his sinker was working occasionally. I think now, just from throwing every fifth day, he’s back to what he used to be.”
If Wang hasn’t completely resurrected himself into the pitcher that won 19 games for the Yankees in both 2006 and 2007, he sure seems close to it. And during the Nationals’ 4-3 victory over the Marlins Sunday afternoon, he took another key step toward completing that comeback, recording 20 outs and throwing 93 pitches for the first time in three years.
It was by no means a perfect outing, and it certainly ended on a sour note — Brett Hayes belted a two-run homer with two outs in the top of the seventh — but it did provide further evidence of how much Wang has progressed and how he has positioned himself to return to the
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals