Sep 19, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Tom Milone earned his first career win last week in New York.
Perhaps the most interesting development around the Nationals this September has been the open tryout among a number of starting pitchers seeking to make their case for a spot in next season's rotation.
Davey Johnson is currently using a six-man rotation, with only two of those six names guaranteed of jobs in 2012: Stephen Strasburg and John Lannan. (Jordan Zimmermann, of course, already secured his spot before being shut down for the season a few weeks ago.)
The other four guys getting a chance to audition this month: Chien-Ming Wang, Ross Detwiler, Brad Peacock and Tommy Milone. Each has shown something to suggest he deserves a shot next year, though none has been consistent enough to lock down a spot.
Wang is the most-accomplished member of the group, a 31-year-old who has started 114 big-league games in his career, posting a 58-29 record and 4.17 ERA. He's also made the most progress over the last two months, all but eliminating any remaining questions about theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?