Sep 20, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tommy Milone faces the Phillies in Game 1 of today's doubleheader.
Remember when the Nationals' scheduled series finale at Citizens Bank Park on Aug. 14 was rained out? Well, they're back in Philadelphia today for an attempted day-night doubleheader to make up for that postponement. Problem is, the forecast for this afternoon's opener isn't so great (though it's supposed to clear up tonight).
If and when they get this first game underway, the Nationals will be fielding an, um, interesting lineup. Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Jayson Werth all have this game off (presumably they'll start the nightcap). That leaves a heart of the order boasting Rick Ankiel, Chris Marrero and Laynce Nix. Yep.
Fortunately, the Phillies (who clinched their fifth straight NL East title on Saturday) are playing a ton of backups as well. They're sending Kyle Kendrick to the mound today (though Cliff Lee is slated to go tonight).
I'm not in Philadelphia for this series, so enjoy the game and the conversation…
NATIONALS at PHILLIES (Game 1)
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 185
Weather: Chance of storms, 70 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
SS Ian Desmond
RF Roger Bernadina
CF Rick Ankiel
1B Chris Marrero
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth
- LaRoche hopes to be a National 'for the rest of my career'
- MLB announces World Series schedule