Game 153: Nats at Phillies

Sep 20, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT

File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats look to sweep today's doubleheader at Citizens Bank Park.

Did you know the Nationals (after today's 4-3, 10-inning win) are 7-8 against the Phillies this season? Seriously, they've managed to hold their own against the five-time NL East champions. They're also 7-8 against the Braves and 10-8 against the Mets. Unfortunately, they're 5-10 against the Marlins. If they old took care of business against Florida, this team would have a winning record in 2011.

The Nats will try to reach the break-even mark with Philadelphia tonight, but to do that, they'll have to beat Cliff Lee and the Phillies' regular lineup (as opposed to today's opener, which featured tons of backups on both sides).

Ross Detwiler starts the nightcap, facing a mighty challenge. He'll have his best players behind him, though, including Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Jayson Werth.

Enjoy another game and even more conversation…

NATIONALS at PHILLIES (Game 2)
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 70 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
CF Jayson Werth
LF Michael Morse

1. baseballswami - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Ah , come on – we can take these guys!! I have to admit that seeing that 73 wins is making me a little giddy. A couple of weeks ago I would have thought this wasn't going to happen. 3 more against the Phils, 3 Braves ( who are struggling to keep their wild card status) and then (horrors!) the fish again to finish. 2 more wins, just two and then I will never ask for anything else ever,ever, ever — please, please, pretty please? 75 would be such a nice number.

2. LoveDaNats - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Yes, baseballswami!I don't know what it is with the mystical number 75 but to me it means a whole new Nats and a contender next year. I'm so hyped for that. Phillies are just mailing it in now….saving their strength for the post season. Perfect time to get a couple tonight! Even with Det. (ok, imaginary friends, I know I'm unrealistic but don't burst my bubble)

3. natsfan1a - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Heck, why stop at 75? Let's go, NATS!!(Stupid Fish. Grrrrr….)

4. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Let me get this straight…. you guys would be tickled to death if the Nats close out this season 3 and 6?????I'll be royally ticked if we can't close out 6 and 3!!!Captcha was "asophads"… what you shouyld be called for wishing a 3 – 6 finish.

5. NatsLady - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Not me. I wanna sweep the Fills so us'n the Astros can be over .500 agin 'em.OK, Clip, my man, now that you aren't vulturing wins, you GOTTA work on those home runs. Eleven is too many!

6. JaneB - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I want 6-3, too. We start tonight. And we have to win all three home games, because we are HOME. I don't care who the heck we are playing, or what the previous record against them might be.But we start tonight, putting a dent in Cliff Lee's record. He can take it. GYFNG!!!!!

7. A DC Wonk - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

jd said… Steve M, I'm with N.Cognito. We should DFA Slaten between games. I mean what a set up. They bring you in to face a light hitting left hander and an infielder hitting below the Mendoza line and you can't get either of them out?Can we at least acknowledge that, this time out, both hits were dribblers, one of them a broken bat chopper?

8. sunderland - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM

asophads. That's excellent.Hey, I'm generally more critical of Davey J than the next guy, but all the ranting that he should not be using Slaten is kinda silly. Slaten is a left handed reliever in the Nat's bullpen, and to me, it is Davey's job to put guys in a position to succeed. So today he puts him in to start a fresh inning and to face a guy who really can't hit lefties, a .229 AVG and a .286 SLG for his brief career. Next up is a guy hitting .197 as a rookie, and .167 vs lefties. This is what Davey is supposed to do. If he's wearing a curly W, and Davey uses him in a way that makes sense, where he should succeed, and it doesn't work out that ain't on Davey. (This ain't aimed at those wanting to DFA Slaten. That's a different, and a more valid, issue. But it won't happen 'tween now and game 161.)

9. Dreamer - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I'm not going to be so bold as to ask for a winning record, but how about 7 more wins (including three against the Braves), one loss, and a rainout?

10. fpcsteve - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Agree with Nats Jack. Here is the beauty of a 6-3 finish to this season: 2009 – 59 wins; 2010 – 69 wins; 2011 – 79 wins. Makes for a nice goal next year: 89 wins. That will be tough. But if it happens, the Nats will be contending.

11. natsfan1a - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Speaking of 2010, the team's record after 151 games was 64-88. Today it's 73-79. Let's go, NATS!!

12. natsfan1a - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM

er, make that 152 games. What I lack in math skills, I make up for in enthusiasm. :-)

13. Anonymous8 - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM

What is all this cr=p about 79 wins or 76 wins or whatever. We had people here banging the drums 2 weeks ago that these games are MEANINGLESS. I heard Danny Espinosa say these games this week are a key to see what the Nats have.On Slaten, I don't get it. The rest, I like. Milone will tell people over the Winter that he went 6 scoreless innings against the best team in the Majors. That's kind of like a broken bat single that looks like a hard line drive in the box score, it works!

14. A DC Wonk - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Careful, A8. Some people get very upset when you use the word "meaningless" ! ;-)And sunderland — very nice analysis. I agree with you.

15. Gonat - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM

A video chat answer from Drew Storen to my question on who will be next year's 7th inning set-up man (very politically correct)"MizunoBaseball: @NatsHRballGuy @DrewStoren answered your question! See who Drew would like to see as the 7th inning set-up manhttp://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/MizunoBaseball/~q80Vz

16. SCNatsFan - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Don't care if it is 73 give or take a couple. I want to see Zim signed to an extension. Do the right thing front office and show the cornerstone is here to stay; would be a great message to the team, the fans and future free agents.Spend whatever it costs… heck, it isn't my money ;)

17. UNTERP.NAT - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I picked the Nats to finish with 79 wins. This will not happen. Why? Well, they will finish with 78 wins. Of course when I said 79 wins I was predicting 79 wins in a 162 game season. The Nationals will only play 161 games…

18. BinM - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM

19. UNTERP.NAT - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Nice to see Danny get his 20th…

20. Nats fan in NJ - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Sitting in the stands surrounded by Philly hand as I silently enjoy Espinosa's homer.

21. Nats fan in NJ - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Philly fans, not hand…

22. Anonymous - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Yeah, Danny!

23. Anonymous - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I wonder if any of the stats experts out there can tell me what percentage of the time Werth goes to 0-1, 0-2, and 1-2 counts at the plate.Over and over and over I watch this pathetic scenario play out. He watches two fat strikes, then flails until he whiffs or hits into a double-play or hits a weak grounder or a little pop on a survival swing.Do the statistics support what I think I've seen all year?

24. sunderland - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Missed the 2nd inning, but Detwiler seems to have been pretty fortunate thus far. Two well hit line drives in the first were caught for outs. Werth just made a real nice catch on a drive ripped to CF. Makes me think he is nit gonna get through 5.

25. A teachable moment - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Anon @ 7:34 p.m.,You can decide for yourself whether the stats support your perceptions: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=werthja01&year=2011&t=bHint: Werth has not had a particularly good year on any count…

26. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Hmmm Mark, let's see and we're keeping Lannan because you and Goessling say so? Good thing you two aren't GM's they would have to makea movie called Loser Ball.

27. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Thank goodness for September rosters. Even though DJ burned through five bullpen arms in the 1st game, he still has seven others available for the nightcap.As we may recall from last year … this wouldn't have been the case under Interim Jim Riggleman. Got to get those veterans their reps right?Sheesh and Goessling still insists that Rizzo maintained total control … sure looks to me like he compromised a lot to keep Interim Jim happy. Wrong again Ben.

28. Nats fan in NJ - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:19 AM

5 left on base in the last two innings. Ugh…

29. Dave - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM

The main thing that distresses me is that the Nats haven't made anything out of the Phillies' infield errors.On the other hand, Detwiler's looking pretty good tonight.

30. Jeeves - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Sunderland, why do many of you on this site often have a negative comment on Detweiler but are so forgiving and supportive of others–Wang for example or Milone. The same can be said about Desmond. (not you necessarily) I don't recall your feelings about him. Those two players seem to be the fall guys. Personally, I believe they will both be very good major league players. But then what do I know.But Werth–I truly believe he will be good again, eventually. But when? I'm tired of seeing the o'fers game after game and then hearing how he's finally got it together.I suppose by the time I finish writing, Det will have blown it and Werth will have hit the game winning homerun. Oh, and Desi will have made a crucial error. But there you go. It's kinda like my golf game.

31. RickH - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:33 AM

"Slugger" Detwiler!

32. Nats fan in NJ - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Detwilet with a shot back through the box!

33. sunderland - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Nah Jeeves, while you were typing Davey sent Detwiler up to bat instead of a pinch hitter, and Detwiler plated a run.For me, the issue with Detwiler is the paradox between his talent level (high), and his inability to take advantage of the many opportunities affordred him.

34. What does the Nationals bullpen do during a long day of baseball - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM

tinyurl.com/4xyjz4d

35. Gonat - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Jeeves, there is a history with Detwiler. A great outing is a great outing. Lets see where it goes. Never get excited by the highs and lows its how they do in the middle.

36. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Jayson Werth looks injured to me.

37. Anonymous8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Does Davey have Coffey warming up? How many times have we been down this road. Just sayin

38. Gonat - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:08 AM

That inning worked out. I think Davey played against the stats unless I am missing something with 2 men on and Mayberry stepping in as the tying run. A great outing could have been lost with Mayberry coming up. Luckily that was hit right at Gomes. I didn't like the decision even thought it worked out.

39. Nats fan in NJ - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Nice escape of his own problems by Detwiler

40. baseballswami - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Did Detweiler just go 7? Just checked the box and it was under 80 pitches, for 7 innings? Really? Obviously just checking in here….what is going on? How did Werth get hurt? I hate away games without Mark's info.

41. Jeeves - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I see your point sunderland. It's expectations you are talking about because he does have the talent. Fair enough. And Gonat, I've been around the game a long time (I'm seventy) and don't get too excited about the highs and lows. But I do confess to being a tad over optimistic at times. Maybe that's the same thing.And I do think the Nats will be in the playoffs next year.Hey, how many times have I told you guys that I saw Don Larson pitch his perfect game in the World Series. Okay, so it was on T.V. But I am Canadian, and lived a long piece away. Didn't have a license then.

42. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Werth took a pickoff throw at third into the elbow. Scored as it bounced away.Detwiler has been "masterful" and is now out to start the 8th.

43. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Bite me, W.B.Mason.

44. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:21 AM

But with 1 out and 1 on in the 8th, he's done. MPHRod in to face Ruiz.

45. Wally - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:22 AM

On the Slaten thing, it puzzles me why we aren't seeing Save-a-rino sometimes in those spots? I mean, I do think the book has been written on Slaten anyway, but Save-a-rino's had a spot on the 40 man for a while now, and has been barely used. I get the 'situation called for a lefty' but there does seem like a logical alternative.Sec 3 – loved the preemptive homer bit.

46. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:24 AM

MPHRod fans Ruiz on an 85 mph curve after a few 99 mph fastballs.

47. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:25 AM

And a grounder to 2nd finishes the 8th. With Clip, Burnett, and Storen all used in game 1, who will be the closer tonight?

48. Dave - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Holy crap! The Nats are on the verge of doing something very, very respectable against the best team in baseball. (I won't name it, so as not to jinx it.)

49. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:27 AM

I'm guessing Coffey

50. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Wow – Storen is warming up for a chance at his second save of the day

51. Nats fan in NJ - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I think that is Storen warming up in the BP

52. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Of course, if Morse goes deep here it's no longer a save situation.

53. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM

But he doesn't – he strikes out. Looks like it will be Storen in for the ninth inning.

54. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM

How fun is this?No need for maalox tonight.

55. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I meant Storen….

56. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Navy Nats Fan said… MPHRod fans Ruiz on an 85 mph curve after a few 99 mph fastballs.As many of us have been saying, HRod has great potential, and he's only 24.

57. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Nationals bullpen…is it video of the guys messing with the lottery numbers? I couldn't get it to play.

58. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Can't watch – just can't do it twice in one day. Not enough maalox in the house.

59. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Sharkadina!

60. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Roger proves the point that FP just said: you get put into a game, the ball will find you. Way to go, Bernie!

61. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:37 AM

62. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Storen battles Polanco and fans him on a great slider. 2 outs.

63. Wally - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Not a fan of using Storen here. He threw 24 pitches the first game. Seems like unnecessary strain on the arm, and all about Save 40.

64. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM

I love the Nats! I love this game. But I most (at the moment) love this 8-8 record. Let's make it 10-8. GYFNG!

65. Navy Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Storen fans the Flyin Hawaiian and the Nats sweep the Phils!

66. Dave - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Noisy Nats fans at CPB? Who'da thunk it?Nats are now .500 against the mighty Phils this season. Save #40 for Storen.A very good day for the good guys.

67. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Wow!!!!!!

68. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Wow — Drew looked terrific on those last two outs — both K's — one looking!The Nats were one single pitch (from Clippard!) away from throwing a double-hitter shutout against the Phils.

69. dryw - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Ohhhhh yeah!!!!!!!! GYFNG!!!!!!!!!! Two from the Phils is better than chocolate. Nasty Drew getting #39 and #40 is better than a fudge brownie sundae. Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

70. Drew8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Holy Buster Douglas, Batman!Who says you can't take down the house?Who says you can't fight city hall?Who says you can't date a 10?Who says you can't mix metaphors?GYFNG!!!

71. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Drew says it's the first time he's ever thrown in two games in the same day.Werth is day-to-day with an elbow contusion.

72. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM

And really, could Debby Taylor possibly ask questions more stupid than this?

73. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM

That's right… sit down, nasty phans

74. Dave - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM

"JaneB, just how stupid did you think that question from Debbi was?" (Debbi Taylor-style)

75. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM

So, maybe Detwiler just needs to bulk up and get endurance — and maybe he's starting to get it. Ray Knight just noted that Detwiler threw 94 mph in the 8th inning!

76. Drew8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM

How about Detwiler bringing 94 mph gas in the 8th inning?Item for John Lannan's to do list: Look into real estate license.

77. Gonat - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Detwiler put himself back into the discussion. Agreed, take out the highs and lows and look at the norm.Do it again and again Ross! Great job!The only caveat emptor I can give is Detwiler was pitching on 8 days rest. 8 days.

78. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Look at these pitchers' ages! Hooo baby!Srasburg – 23JZimm – 25Storen – 24Detwiler – 25Milone – 24Peacock – 23Clippard – 26HRod – 24

79. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 1:59 AM

So we sweep the Phils and people are grousing about Debbie. How lame is that?

80. Anonymous8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:02 AM

@Navy Nats Fan said… Storen gets lucky as Rollins rips a liner that Bernadina comes in and just barely gets to. 1 out. Good move by Davey to bring in Bixler and Shark for Gomes and Nix. September 20, 2011 9:37 PM True on that. How different would that have been if that ball falls in….

81. baseballswami - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Ok – so Milone and Detweiler were both really good today. Espi gets his 20th,against Cliff Lee, Drew gets his 40th and looks better in his second game than his first. Bernie with a fine catch to help close it out. Sweeping the 2 games in their house, the last one a shut out? OOOOH baby — I like it!!!

82. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM

anon8 and navy nats fan — I have yet to watch a game where luck was not involved. Every game there are plays, inches, bounces that go one way or another. Doesn't seem like a lot of them usually go ours. Just take it and appreciate it.Sharkadina made a great play.

83. Mark'd - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Gonat, really? I thought he pitched last Monday. Is that considered 7 or 8 days rest?How much does that rest play into the issue of a pitcher with endurance issues. Im still cautiously optimistic.

84. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Personally, I always grouse about Debbie. I just thought tonight, I'd share, is all.If we have an 8 man rotation, so Ross is really rested, that means I can definitely keep Livan.

85. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM

True on that. How different would that have been if that ball falls in…. It might not have been much different at all — he did strike out the next two guys. Remember, in the first game, the first batter got a double. More importantly, the Nats had a 3-run lead in the second game.

86. Grandstander - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:12 AM

For those that are more entertained by Phillies fans reactions to losses than our musings about the game, you can enjoy your schadenfreude here:http://www.thegoodphight.com/2011/9/20/2438781/cliffs-note-nationals-at-phillies-game-thread-the-second-september-20#commentsI especially the dolts talking about BABIP. It's like a kid who learns a new word but never uses it in the right context. As the season comes to a close, I think it's safe to say I've never been more excited about a next season since 2004. Really looking forward to seeing what offseason moves are made and how the rotation stacks up for next season. With the way our kid pitchers are playing, the future has never looked brighter.

87. Anonymous8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Anon @ 10:07, amen on luck! Hoping for more of it. 74 wins in the books. 74 to 78 was where many NI'ers thought the Nats would end up in Wins. Nice to know 74 is in the books!

88. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Drew8 said… How about Detwiler bringing 94 mph gas in the 8th inning? Item for John Lannan's to do list: Look into real estate license.Well, hopefully he's thinking: "if Milone and Ross can do it, I can!"

89. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:19 AM

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!Now, that was fun. After Espi's dinger I told Lee (via my talking to the tv, 'cause he can hear me that way, you know?): no shut-out for you today, bub. And I'm not so sure about the complete game, either, but we'll see. Nice win and even nicer sweep of the doubleheader. My only regret is that there weren't more shots of disgruntled/dismayed Phans. But, on the bright side, I can always go check out Grandstander's link.Speaking of links, it wasn't a video, JaneB. Just a screen shot taken from the broadcast.

90. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Oh, and after a recent start, I opined as to how Det scared me on the second or third time through the lineup and said as much. I also said, sorry, kid, but show me. Well, he showed me a little something tonight. Good on him.

91. Gonat - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM

BTW, how good did Danny Espinosa look from the right side.

92. BinM - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:24 AM

@peric (Anon @8:07 & 8:09)- Calling out Mark Z. & Ben G. for their views on Lannan is lame, imo. They have both spent much more time in the locker room & with the coaching staff than you possibly could have, and probably have a far better insight as a result. We understand that you have a preference for power arms, but sometimes a crafty SP (Lannan or Milone from the LH side, or even Livo from the RH side) throws a wrench into the works & proves to be an effective starter. Try to learn how to live with it.

93. RickH - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Love beating the Phillies!!!Couldn't happen to nicer fans!

94. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:25 AM

ahhh, I feel much better now. Thanks, Grandstander. I liked this Phan comment a lot:another 4-game losing streak…. last one also involved 2 Nats games…. the f****sby yolacrary on Sep 20, 2011 9:42 PM EDT reply

95. trying to save a buck or two - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:28 AM

hoping the brilliant folks here can help me out. During the game tonight, I saw a couple of adds touting the final homestand this weekend against the Braves. They mentioned that there would be specials for all three games, including $2 dogs, 2-for-1 Coke products AND most importantly $2 tickets for all three games. I wanted to buy some tix but I can't find any info about these tix on the Nats site. Does anyone here know how I can buy some $2 tickets??? Thanks in advance!

96. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Gonat said… BTW, how good did Danny Espinosa look from the right side.I think I heard he's always like that against Lee — he's 7-for-10 against him now!

97. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:36 AM

GoNats– IMHO-.– Danny looks good no matter where he stands.

98. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Trying to save, I got an email from the Nats the other day regarding that promo, but unfortunately I deleted it because I already had tix for this weekend. I couldn't find the info on the site either just now. Maybe try calling or stopping by the box office tomorrow?

99. baseballswami - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Ok – I think RossD earned the spaghetti and cookies that everyone has been wanting to feed him tonight! After the game you could see RZim hug Danny — he broke his rookie year homerun record tonight. Danny also shares a record with Uggla and Ramirez for homeruns by a rookie second baseman. Milone, Detweiler, Espi, Storen – they are all so young and so good. Do you think that our team being younger and having the day off yesterday, while the older Phils were struggling against the Cards had an effect on today's games? Not that I care, of course – they can just suck on it. I actually heard nats fans at the end of that game – very cool. Such a great day!

100. Grandstander - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:43 AM

The $2 tickets can be found at nationals.com/fanale along with more information on the weekend specials. That deal is only good for Sat/Sun though, not Friday's Strasburg start.@DC WonkHe also has 3 HRs against him. Danny's got his number something awful.

101. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM

swami, also seen at the visiting dugout: when Detwiler exited, Pudge was standing there with his hand extended for a congratulatory shake. Nice.

102. Drew8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:49 AM

A D.C. Wonk said: Well, hopefully (Lannan's) thinking: "if Milone and Ross can do it, I can!" Works for me!

103. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Runner up fave item from the above-referenced site:"Fangraph of I Hate Danny Espinosa And His Stupid Stupid Face"(followed by a fancy-schmancy graph) That makes me LOL. I hope that Danny and our boys are making Phans angry for many, many years. :-)

104. still trying to save $$$ - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:12 AM

@Grandstander — thanks for the info. I was indeed hoping to score some cheap tix for Friday's game (not because Stras is pitching, but because it's the only game I'd be able to take my wife and daughter to). Oh well.I tried looking on StubHub, but most of the seats I'd be interested in buying only allow me to purchase 2 or 4 tickets, not 3!

105. Drew8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Detwiler lowered his ERA to 3.30. If you discount his relief stats, he has a 3.60 ERA in his nine starts.Detwiler's 3.60 ERA as a starter ranks behind only J. Zimm among Nats pitchers with 5 or more starts, a group that also includes Lannan, Marquis, Gorzy, Wang, Livo.(Not to take anything away from Stras, Peacock and Milone. Their small sample sizes are very encouraging.)

106. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 3:17 AM

If you want to see what you have with Detwiler start him on 5 days normal rest on Sunday against the Braves and lets see what he does.Didnt have to face Pence or Ryan Howard today. While it was a good start it has to be consistent.

107. NatsNut - Sep 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Folks, last night we reached the most number of wins since our 81-81 record in 2005.

108. N. Cognito - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:13 AM

trying to save a buck or two said… "hoping the brilliant folks here can help me out"http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ticketing/groups_events.jsp?group=fanale&partnerId=ed-5289876-223045696