Game 154: Nats at Phillies

Sep 21, 2011, 7:57 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats try to win their third game in 36 hours at Citizens Bank Park.

OK, if you've been following the Nationals at all, you know the storyline by now: John Lannan can't beat the Phillies. Well, actually he's done it once in 16 starts against that hated ballclub from up Interstate-95. But he's never done it at Citizens Bank Park, where he's 0-5 with a 7.40 ERA.

So tonight, Lannan gives it yet another shot, looking in the process to give the Nats their third straight victory over the Phillies and their eighth win in 10 ninth win in 11 games. He'll be facing a Philadelphia lineup without Ryan Howard, Hunter Pence or Carlos Ruiz (all dealing with nagging injuries).

The Nationals, meanwhile, will be without Jayson Werth tonight after he got struck in the right elbow with a throw. Rick Ankiel is in center field, with Roger Bernadina in right field.

Enjoy the game…

NATIONALS at PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Cloudy, 72 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
RF Roger Bernadina
LF Michael Morse

1. Gonat - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM

No Jayson Werth for the Nats and no Ryan Howard, Pence and Carlos Ruiz for the Phillies.

2. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Lannan should be able to pull it together. The Nats have great momentum.

3. Canada's #1 Nats Fan - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Actually, the Nats have already won 8 of their last 10. Let's make it 9 of 11!

4. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Hope that LannEn and the Nats can keep the mo (whether of the -jo or -mentum variety) going tonight. Schneider ought to be good for a couple of GIDPs – oh no I didn't (love ya, Brian, but you're a Phillie now and all).

5. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Like I said, mojo .

6. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM

From end of last thread:Stat of the dayNats are .300 in RISP — over their last 10 games (which helps explain why they are 8-2 — the other reason, of course, is outstanding pitching — only 20 runs given up in the last 10 games)

7. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Storen has sadly (but wisely) decided to take a break from his college education. I think that's realistic, not only because he will need to "de-compress" from being an MLB full-time closer but also because the off-season training regimen would interfere with academics–and vice-versa.Was listening to the Rays-Yanks on the way to work. The Yankees announcer, FWIW, said the letter-high fastball is the hardest pitch to hit in baseball. What do you think Clip often throws for his "out" pitch? The high heat. If he misses by even a little, it goes pretty far. Not saying he should change his strategy; with high risk comes high reward–literally.

8. BinM - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM

9. Another_Sam - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I'm another who is hoping for a good performance – and a win — from Lannan against a team that I hope is coasting. I won't jinx anything by talking about the team W-L record.

10. Another_Sam - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

NatsLady: I agree. Lots of retired big leagers owe there easy golden years to the high heat. LOL

11. Just posted on MLBTradeRumors.com... - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

"[ESPN's Jason] Stark heard from rival executives who expect Albert Pujols to stay in St. Louis, Prince Fielder to join the Nationals and Jose Reyes to sign in San Francisco."

12. Bill James - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM

BinM said…Wonk: Two hand-in-hand statistical points. Good pitching + hitting with men on base = wins.———————You know, you should think about quantifying that…I have a few ideas I could pass along…

13. So the Nats will have FOUR first basemen? - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Wow. If the Nats sign Fielder, something's gotta give.

14. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM

On this podcast, about 1/2 way through, they discuss the Nationals 2012 rotation. Actually, it's mostly Stras and Milone.http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-audio-the-end-is-nigh/

15. BinM - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM

A note to NatsFaninFla: If you're in the Viera area gathering intel on the FIL players this year, I'd like to invite you over to NationalsProspects.com to share what you've seen (or heard, for that matter). The folks over there (of which I'm one) always appreciate 'eyes-on' information on the kiddie corps.

16. sunderland - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Be funny to have Greinke say we're not good enough and go to MIL, and then have Fielder come here. Anyone who signs Reyes is better get an insurance policy on his hamstrings. And anyone who predicts free agent signings in September is wrong 98% of the time.

17. baseballswami - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

18. sunderland - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

BinM, nice to see you hanging out here a bit BTW.

19. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM

baseballswami: I'm playing the world's tiniest violin for them as we speak.

20. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I almost feel bad for wishing injuries on them, but if any team deserves this, it's the Phillies.

21. sunderland - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I still like Philly coming out of the NL. Pitching and defense. And their offense can heal up and heat up quickly. They took 3 of 4 from MIL, in MIL, a few weeks back, and used plenty of their "B" side.Rollins had 2 AB's in the series.Utley had zero AB's in the series.Howard sat for half the series.Ibanez sat one of the games.I'd put money of the Phillies over any other NL team.

22. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:15 PM

John LannEn can beat these guys. He can and does. GYFNG!!!!

23. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Sunderland, I'll take that, and Milwaukee if they get past Atlanta, but not AZ.

24. BinM - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM

As to J.Stark's speculation on Fielder to the Nationals – I think it's based mostly on the fact that he's a Bora$ client. If you look at the numbers (SSS warning), it doesn't make much sense. Fielder rings up the following numbers hitting at Nats' Park: 14GP, 64PA, 1HR, 4RBI, with a .222/.328/.315 slash marker; That's weak sauce for a power hitter, imo. If he had numbers here closer to those he has at home in Miller Park (.284/.396/.559 slash), I'd maybe change my view, but not based on this. Add on the fact that he's listed as 5'11" – 275lbs, and if I'm Rizzo, I say "Thanks, but no thanks" to BorasCorp on this one.

25. Anonymous8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM

If the Nats sign Prince Fielder it is another move counter to Rizzo's vision of an "athletic" 1st to 3rd team that can play 'plus' defense. Fielder will not get better at 1st base. He needs to go to an AL team where he can DH some or stay with the Brewers.With that said, I have to believe that Rizzo will play good friend to Boras and stay interested to drive up the price on Fielder for other teams.

26. Anonymous8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Wandy Rodriguez 7.0 innings 4 hits 2 ER. Hard luck loser 2-0 Wandy would fit in Washington nicely with that stat line and NO run support.

27. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Debate going on in my head: Bring out laptop to do some work (since I am behind) or Chat with imaginary friends, crack open bottle of wine, and watch game…tough choice….GYFNG!

28. Gonat - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM

baseballswami said… Lots of relatives in Philly. They do not sound like fans whose team is going back to the post season. They are ready to jump off buildings up there. Today they are predicting that they won't make it out of the first round of the post season because they have no offense. Also very disturbed by nagging physical injuries to Howard and Pence. I am thinking of throwing a very tiny pity party for them. Anyone want to join me? ( maniacal laughter in the background) September 21, 2011 6:02 PM _______________________________They should be scared going into the post-season after last year only I still believe they have the best pitching in the NL which can go a long way.

29. BinM - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:48 PM

@sunderland 6:02 – Thanks; I'll give credit to MarkZ for keeping his access format open on this blog, and to seeing more than a few old WaPo handles on here as well.

30. Anonymous8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:49 PM

MicheleS, easy choice. Nats & Whine & LannEn

31. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Anon8… would rather have Wine than WHine.. and would rather have CJ Wilson than Wandy…

32. Drew8 - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Re Imagine-ary friends:You may say that I'm a drinker,but I'm not the only one….

33. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Anybody think that Livo and Pudge get into the game on Sunday? I have tickets to Friday's game and for Pups in the Park on Saturday.. Debating if I should go to Sunday's – kind of want to send off the old dudes on a nice note, i.e, BY knocking the Braves out of the playoffs

34. baseballswami - Sep 21, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I hope we don't need much alcohol tonight. MicheleS – you know what you want to do – give in to imaginary peer pressure!

35. BinM - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM

36. Gonat - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM

BinM said… If Rizzo is really going to go after another SP to take the team to the 'next level' (which I somehow doubt), I'd take Rodriguez over Wilson, for the following reason alone. Wandy is a controlled cost for the next two years, while Wilson is a FA likely seeking a 5-year deal at $10M+/year. It's true that Wandy would cost the team talent/prospects, while Wilson is only $$$, but in the long run prospects might be the cheaper commodity. The Nationals are slowly maturing & a lot of key player contracts will come into either ARB or re-signing status in the next five years. Just an observation to go along with the opinion. September 21, 2011 7:10 PM____________________________BinM, I agree on going after Wandy. I disagree on what he would ultimately cost. This was discussed yesterday. He would be a salary dump for Houston. Probably have to give up 1 MLB ready pitcher and a backup OF under team control and possibly a catcher.Since Wandy would be a trade, I think once the regular season is over the Nats and Houston can talk on a trade. I would be all over it.

37. Steady Eddie - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:17 PM

MicheleS — That's easy, multitask! Turn on the game, turn off the sound, fire up the laptop, put work in one windows and your buds here in the other — and then pretend to get some work done during ads!

38. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Okay.. I caved… peer pressure is so tough!Anyway.. kilgore has in interesting article on Det…http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/ross-detwilers-season-changing-conversation/2011/09/21/gIQAueP0lK_blog.htmlI am computer challenged, so you will have to cut and past the link.

39. UNTERP.NAT - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Lannan with a perfect game! So far…

40. JaneB - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Michelle, I'm drinking red. A nice, quiet Australian Shiraz. What are you drinking?I am hoping the same thing you are — that we see Pudge and Livo on Sunday. I'm going to Pups in the Park Saturday for the first time, and (stupidly) got the fancy seats for the last game. I'm closer to the dugout in my real seats. But I want a Veteran Sighting on the Field that day.I think the rumors that we would end of with a 4th first baseman are just nuts. I don't believe a word of it. AS I said before, GYFNG!

41. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Gonat/BinM:Understand the thought behind trading some prospects for Wandy, but there is just something about Wandy that doesn't sit well with me. For some reason – I just don't trust him. He seems like a guy that will win maybe 10 games and have somewhere around a 4 era each year.. And Don't we already have guys like that???

42. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM

JaneB.. cleaning out the summer stock and going with a Chilean Rose..it's okay.. Last of the Summer Wine (I think there is a PBS series by that name)..And As I am typing this… BUFFALO Hits a 2 run homer!

43. Oh no you didn't - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I wanna make some spaghetti and cookies for Lannan's mom….

44. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM

UNTERP… SHHHHHH

45. sunderland - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Wow. Utley looks at 3 pitches and sits down. 3 pitches from JohnBoy. Wow

46. UNTERP.NAT - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM

MicheleS said… I was trying the reverse reverse spin.Oh well…

47. Mark'd - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Wandy pitches in the easiest RH hitters park in the Majors in Houston. Huge upgrade. Not CJ Wilson circa 2011 but better then CJ Wilson 2010. Personally, I would take both.Rizzo could probably give up Lannan or Milone + Norris.

48. UNTERP.NAT - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I feel powerful. I caused this. Folks you may rain your venom down on me…

49. Mark'd - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Ugly Lannan is back again. Spotted a 2-0 lead.

50. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM

McCatty better be reading him the riot act – Geesh!

51. Get some run support and give it right back - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Gorzy warming yet?

52. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Definition of a loser : John Lannan.It says it all.Milone has a lot more composure and is far more mature than our best left pitcher trade bait.Un ancien fan des Expos

53. swang - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Calm down people. He still got out of it with just 2 runs… we can get it back.

54. baseballswami - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:44 PM

It's just so weird how he does this. Looks dominant, then, nothing crushed, just single, single, single, single. The next inning – reset – move on. He needs to find out Wang's warm up routine to avoid first inning nightmares.

55. UNTERP.NAT - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM

You see, I can't say anything positive about our team. "Just when I think I'm out. They pull me back in."

56. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Time to break out the merlot.

57. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

How about a nice offensive onslaught?!!! GYFNG!!!

58. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM

59. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM

A second recommendation to MicheleS's recommendation of the Kilgore article on Detwiler.==========Back to the game . . . wow, how often do you see a team get five hits in an innings, no one thrown out on the basepaths, and only come away with two runs?

60. A DC Wonk - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:54 PM

OK, so I've been dying to know ever since I was a kid — what did McCatty say to Lannen? Was it just as simple as: keep your pitches down? or what? It sure seemed to have worked.

61. Anonymous - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Anonymous at 7:49You are totally right. Un ancien fan des Expos

62. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I am guessing McCatty said.. "Do you see Peacock and Milone – THEY WANT YOUR JOB" or "Does anyone have any idea what to get Milly for her wedding present – Candlesticks.. Bucket of Fried chicken to sacrifice to Jobu"

63. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Lannan is back to not being dominant against LH batters. It just can't be that easy.

64. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Yikes. This is looking a bit like that Astros mess a couple weeks ago. They're just whacking John around into the gaps almost at will.

65. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM

How about "He's in your head, meat". Or "The Syracuse real estate market is much better than DC".

66. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:05 AM

8 hits already – yikes. Although, usually when the phillies get 8 hits, it's worth more runs. Singles, singles, singles.

67. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Anonymous said… I am trying to read lips, looks like Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann were saying they wish they were staked to a 2-0 lead in the 2nd inning of there starts. September 21, 2011 7:49 PM ________________________________Funny and while they may not say it, they are both thinking it along with Livan.

68. Steady Eddie - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Going with a Santa Barbara red blend myself.Need it tonight. Lannan hasn't pitched badly at all, just a bunch of seeing eye ground singles and an unaccustomed bad throw by Ramos. Maybe Lannan is just cursed against the Phils. I was at his only win and it took divine intervention in the form of peak Nix, in the field and with the glove.

69. Steady Eddie - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Capcha "curerter". Good question. What is the curerter for Lannan with these guys?

70. Dawn - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:14 AM

I am happy. Just read Pudge is getting two starts yet with the Nationals, one this weekend and the last at Sun Life Stadium. Appropriate with what he meant to the Marlins. Info courtesy of Adam Kilgore.

71. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Talking about ZContact numbers, with all of Ankiel and Espinosas swing & miss, they help many pitchers with their stats.

72. BinM - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:22 AM

For as much as I like Lannan as a steady mid-rotation pitcher, I'm ready to admit that the Phillies have him completly skull____ed. They toy with his psyche, play with him like a cat with a mouse, posess his soul, own him; However you want put it. And it's both sad and beyond my comprehension, because he's a far better pitcher against the rest of the League.

73. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Any word if Wilson will be playing winterball this year? I hope not.. Like Drew, he needs his rest.

74. dryw - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM

MicheleS, candlesticks always make a nice gift.But I do hope that John can feel Tommy and Brad breathing down his neck. And that the boys can bring a couple more runs around.Nice SF, John.

75. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Steady Eddie – I consider it a rare privilege that I was also at that game – and a nerve-wracking, blazing hot game it was. Laynce Nix has really deteriorated – both physically and his hitting. Lannan needs a chicken bone to take the curse off his glove. And the rest of the nats need to hit the ball – and find some grass — or seats?

76. NatsLady - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:40 AM

This article on Nats Spring Training– doesn't sound like McCatty is leaving. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/sep/21/nationals-prospects-for-rotation-in-12-present-ple/

77. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I LOVE ESPI!!!!

78. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM

So John Lannan is one scoreless inning away from that stat many of us hate QUALITY START and Danny gives him the lead.

79. dryw - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM

DANNY!!! My personal ROY even if he had a rough second half.

80. NatsLady - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Espi!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, Johnny, you got four runs. Don't blow it! Would LOVE to win this game.

81. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Marrero almost got robbed.

82. NatsLady - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Marrero starting to show some power. Good boy.

83. NatsLady - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Stammen up. Bet Davey has a SHORT leash on Lannan. BTW, Clip admitted he was guilty of changing the lotto numbers yesterday! That (almost) makes up for the home run…!

84. slidell - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Maybe the thing to do is just sit John when his turn comes up and it's the Phillies. It's my guess that McCatty said some things not appropriate for family listening.Let's see how long he can hold his new lead.

85. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM

aaaaaah — Ramos, Marrero, Espi — so proud of the kiddies. Marrero almost went yard,too. When Danny got to the dugout, Livo just pounded on him. Looked like it hurt!! Oh, John , please hold on. What? Lannan is out of the game? Eligible for the win….

86. slidell - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Ooops, guess he won't be given the opportunity.

87. JaneB - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Still, we are not losing anymore. That's something. Maalox is waaay better with bourbon than with red whine. Wine, too.I'm going to have to change TVs to stick with this game, rather than watch the season opener of Modern Family. Good grief. That's like the in-home version of the wave.

88. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:52 AM

You know your bench is really pathetic when you have to use Alex Cora as a pinch hitter.

89. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:52 AM

We keep hearing that Davey wants to win games, but also wants to see what his young guys have to offer. Where does Alex Cora fit into that scenario? (Nothing against Cora–he has helped us at times.)

90. Natty Bo - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:55 AM

What happened to all the "Man that Espinosa really sucks.!" crowd

91. Drew8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Attaboy Craig!!

92. JaneB - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Natty Bo….I ignored that crowd then, and now. He doesn't suck, at all. He just started to get freaked by being such a standout, is my guess.

93. rogieshan - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Wonder why Davey doesn't consider using Livo to pinch hit – would at least be a nice gesture.

94. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Off Topic Discussion: Nats as Baseball Movie Characters:Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn/Nuke Laloosh = MPHRodSerrano (the moody outfielder that either hit the HR or struck out) = WerthOld guy that throws junk from Major League = Livo.Crash Davis = ???Corbin Berson/3B in Major league = ?

95. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Natty Bo said… What happened to all the "Man that Espinosa really sucks.!" crowd September 21, 2011 8:55 PM _______________________________Nobody says he sucks. Let's be honest, his 2nd half has been hard to watch. Last 2 weeks are good and he is still the last in the league on swing and miss. His WAR is tops on the team so for those who are smart enough to know that he is a integral part of the future of this team.SteveM said it right this afternoon that Espi carried the team for the 1st half w/ Morse in terms of offense.

96. Drew8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Well done, Craig.Collin, we have some lovely parting gifts…

97. BinM - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM

98. sunderland - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Thanks Gonat.

99. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:16 AM

OUCH.. You cannot get hit by more pitches than the HRs you hit? Right now we are at 19 HBP to 21 HRs.

100. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Sunderland, thanks for what?

101. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Don't you just love when the OTHER TEAM makes the bonehead plays!

102. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Well, but then there's Ankiel's base running mistake…

103. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM

…made good by Gomes's sac fly.

104. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I spoke to soon.. at least Gomes got him in

105. Just wonderin' - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Is Wilson Valdez available in the Phillies' bullpen?

106. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:31 AM

BinM said… Anon 8:52 – Short sample size (SSS) as are most pinch-hitters, but Cora was 2-2 against Worley.Nice catch!(I wonder what the Philly blogs are showin' ;-) )

107. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:31 AM

I'm watching the Phillies' broadcast (MLB.tv) and they were speculating that Ankiel had missed (or thought he had missed) third base. What did FP and Carpenter have to say?

108. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Eugene.. FP said Vapor Lock – code for Brain Fart

109. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Natty Bo said… What happened to all the "Man that Espinosa really sucks.!" crowd?Natty, they're hiding back under their rocks with the "Lannan's a bum" crowd, with their hands over their ears so they don't hear the rest of us laughing at them. But we still do, nevertheless.

110. BinM - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Sounds like the Philly Phans are starting to bail in the top of the 8th (per Charlie Slowes on the radio). Oh, well. Maybe Nats Park won't be such a friendly place to visit in 2012 & beyond – Maybe they'll try CitiField instead.

111. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:33 AM

FP said Ankiel just lost his head. I would agree. Cost Ramos a well deserved RBI

112. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM

YOU CAN'T WALK THE LEADOFF MAN WITH A 4 RUN LEAD

113. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Please get Coffey up immediately. Can't risk this.

114. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Davey at least learned to bring in the lefty Severino over the hack Slaten.Let's get LannEn a W

115. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Did I just hear Bob say Clippard and Storen? How can you put Drew out there after yesterday? This game just doesn't count for THAT much.

116. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Anon8, if you are watching TV you will see Coffey up and Severino just pulled a Slaten.

117. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Dave, they talked about Storen and said NO WAY does Drew come in for this game.

118. JaneB - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Dave, it counts enough that we need Coffey instead of Severino now. I want a four game sweep of these guys.

119. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Get the Maalox out.. the Kardiac Kids are at it again…. sigh

120. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Gonat, yeah, I heard that, but it also sounded like Bob was fixated on Storen for a couple minutes.Maybe it's just my sense of alarm after that doubleheader save yesterday.

121. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:42 AM

You don't mind the HR to Mayberry, it was the walk to Utley on lefty/lefty that shouldn't have happened.

122. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Dave, FP and Bob went as far as to say to shut Storen down and let someone else take over the closer role.Maybe the same for Clip.

123. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Sometimes you gotta give the hitter some of the credit. Mayberry's HR came after he fouled three of in a row.Gonat said… Davey at least learned to bring in the lefty Severino over the hack Slaten.Oh, c'mon. Slaten was used wisely last time — a lefty to come in on a clean inning against two very weak hitting lefties. Further, the two guys got dribblers for hits (one of them a broken bat).

124. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Okay, I'm going to quit multi-tasking and pay attention to the TV now.Strike one from the Big Pot o' Coffey.

125. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:47 AM

OK — so guesses — who pitches for the Nats in the 9th?Burnett?

126. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:51 AM

A DC Wonk said… Gonat said…Davey at least learned to bring in the lefty Severino over the hack Slaten.Oh, c'mon. Slaten was used wisely last time — a lefty to come in on a clean inning against two very weak hitting lefties. Further, the two guys got dribblers for hits (one of them a broken bat). September 21, 2011 9:44 PM ________________________________OMG, I mentioned Davey's name. Gimme a break.Slaten has a horrific record. Just because he gave up 2 seeing eye grounders, its still no reason for this guy to be part of this team. Teach a lesson that sub-par won't cut it here.

127. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:51 AM

MPHRod warming up, according to Phillies' broadcasters…

128. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:52 AM

So it's Lightning Rod for the 9th?Fasten yer seat belts, it could be a bumpy flight.

129. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:53 AM

HRod warming up — cool — we don't want this to be too easy on our nerves!So — will he hit 99mph or the backstop first? ;-)

130. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:54 AM

I have Maalox, TUMS, and vodka by my side. I just saw Henry Rodriguez warming in the bullpen so I am mixing up my concoction.If Davey does this, I say you are nuts. Whether it works out or not you are nuts. Burnett should get the nod. Henry is a low stress pitcher.

131. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Aackkkk. That's the Schneiderman I used to love to see throw runners out at second. Side retired in the ninth.

132. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Whoa. You people listening to the radio or watching the Phillies TV feed just missed some of the ugliest green trousers on Johnny Holliday that I have ever seen on a human being.

133. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:58 AM

I don't think I've ever heard Bob call him "MPH Rod" before.

134. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:58 AM

OK, hoping Henry comes through.

135. JaneB - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Why not Sean??? Really???.

136. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

How did Bixler catch that ball???? He really tried not too

137. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Brian Bixler tried really, really hard to miss that fly ball, but he caught it in spite of himself.One down, two to go.

138. dryw - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

It's ok to break the wrong way on a ball so long as you can catch it while lying on your face!

139. JaneB - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Holy Cow! Good for him!

140. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

what is BIX doing?

141. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

to

142. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Bix! Yikes!!Way to add to the excitement! ;-)

143. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Is that a Web Gem for Bixler? UGLY and it works. Oh my…..

144. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Dave,I went to UVa and I walked by numerous preppie parties on the Lawn — believe me, I've seen plenty of ugly green trousers that I'm sure can beat anything Mr. Holliday might wear.

145. drw - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:02 AM

DC Wonk, you've hit on the big question with Henry! Here's hoping for all 99 mph and no backstop.

146. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Eugene, imagine your ugliest. That's what Johnny's got on tonight. With a rather conservative jacket, shirt and tie combination, which makes the trousers leap out at you.

147. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Sec 3, My Sofa said… I don't think I've ever heard Bob call him "MPH Rod" before.He learned it from us! Who knew he read NI? ;-)Yowza — HRod just hit 101 mph!! And then strikes out Rollins by going upstairs with a 100 mph!

148. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:04 AM

149. Suz - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM

W00T!

150. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM

GOOD HENRY!!! and LannEn gets his 2nd win against Philly.Hey we are at 75 WINS.. Let's get MORE!

151. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Congratulations to John LannEn. Davey's lucky horseshoe is working well.

152. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Anonymous said… Just no control on those pitches. He has no clue where they are going. Jorge Julio stuff. Problem is the Phoolies are swinging at balls.Right — closing out the game 1-2-3 really sucks, eh?75 Wins for the Nats.Phils — first time losing 5 straight all year, no?

153. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:07 AM

There we go! Hot Rod gets the save, the Nats get this series, they go 9-8 versus the Phillies this season. Life is good. And that's win #75 for the Nats.Why not just run the table the rest of the way? 83-78 would be rather nice, yes?

154. Drew8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Congratulations John Lannan and Henry Rodriguez.Sorry I can't stay.Monkeys are flying out of my…..

155. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Way to go MPHRod! Congrats on your first save! Now if the Cards can just come back against the Mets…(P.S. for Dave – I know that exact pair and the clothing combination. I can picture a fellow I knew (he was the heir to a board-game fortune) wearing them.)

156. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM

OK Asophads…. thats 75… and that includes you 10:04

157. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM

158. Dave - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Go Cardinals!My eyes are spared–Johnny and Ray are sitting at the desk. They may be using the reflection from Johnny's pants, though, to illuminate the infield grass on the Nats Park picture behind them.

159. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM

NatsJack, welcome to the party! I will say it again, KardiaK Kids!

160. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Nice! STL Cards just scored 3 in the bottom of the 7th to go ahead of the Mets. Nats could gain 1 more full game on the Mets and count down to a magic # for 3rd place.

161. MicheleS - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Anon 10:09.. Yes GOOD HENRY! He went 1-2-3 and the BOTTOM LINE is all that matters!

162. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Cards just went ahead 6-4 on a three-run homer. Fish beat the Braves, so that race could get even tighter.O's beat the Red Sox and Tampa Bay has tied the Yankees in their second game (having lost this afternoon).Love September baseball…

163. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Hard to believe that all position players got hits except Zim and Ankiel tonight.

164. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Seeing CBP so quiet and people leaving early – soooo sweet.Lannan did not look so happy about his tenth win. Embarassed? Hey – a W is a W – sometimes you deserve one and don't get it. Run support – finally.

165. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Anonymous said… MicheleS, GOOD HENRY? If each hitter went up and didn't swing at all, it would have been a walk parade. He is a chucker and has no idea where it is going.I'm with you MicheleS, it was good Henry. Yeah, Rollins struck out on ball four — but it's hard to lay off a high-heater at 100 mph (Clippard also gets a lot of K's that way). HRod hit both corners of the plate on the first two pitches of the last batter, too.

166. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Nice to see some individual milestones this September.Playing for a high win total, playing for 3rd place – sure feels meaningful to me!

167. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:26 AM

baseballswami @ 10:19,I noticed that too, but I interpreted as Lannan just being tired — which is how he's looked during and after his past couple of appearances. If anyone needs to be shut-down, I'd say it's Lannan. He's got his tenth victory. He beat the Phillies. Let's go back to a five-man rotation for the last week of the season and see how the youngsters do on normal rest.

168. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Is there a stat for "devastating high cheese when the target was low and away"? No? All right, then. Big K. Siddown an shaddup. And Dave—I lived through the entire 70s–I saw some green pants no one should have to remember.captcha = "nonsa"sounds like the opposite of mensa.

169. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Baseballswami, I think he was nervous. These guys have all seen W's turn into ND's at the hands of the bullpen.Still can't forget JZim to leave the game in Atlanta leading by 4 and Burnett within minutes serves up a Grand Slam and the W was gone.These guys unfortunately have been conditioned for the worse. Glad this week except for Milone it has been working out.

170. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Gonat said… Baseballswami, I think he was nervous. These guys have all seen W's turn into ND's at the hands of the bullpen.Agreed. I thought I saw him take a big exhale. It seemed more relief than tired.

171. natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:34 AM

That was really funny, Drew, and I – wait a minute – what's that outside my second-floor window? Looks like…a pig?Oh, and wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohh!! Please keep shutting up those Phans for us, Espi!Drew8 said… Congratulations John Lannan and Henry Rodriguez. Sorry I can't stay. Monkeys are flying out of my….. September 21, 2011 10:07 PM

172. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:35 AM

You know, Lannan is by nature a pitch -to-contact hitter. That big bunch of singles could just as easily been hit right at someone. A few of them missed someone's glove by an inch. Nothing was pounded, they only scored 3. Sometimes it looks ugly to watch but could it just be horrible luck? There have been lots of errors made at awful times, too. I really am glad to see him get to ten and get another win off the Philthies. He is as true a veteran Nat as anyone.

173. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:37 AM

174. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Despite a Willie Harris solo home run in the 9th, the Cards win and the Mets lose. Nats pick up a full game in the all-important (at least to me) race for third place in the NL East.

175. Anonymous8 - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Cardinals win. Nats have a 2 1/2 game lead over the Mets for 3rd place!

176. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:40 AM

baseballswami said… You know, Lannan is by nature a pitch -to-contact hitter. That big bunch of singles could just as easily been hit right at someone. A few of them missed someone's glove by an inch. Nothing was pounded, they only scored 3. Sometimes it looks ugly to watch but could it just be horrible luck?I agree with that, too. A number of those singles were "seeing-eye" regular old' grounders that found holes.You're exactly right — pitch-to-contact pitchers will have games like that.And look at his 5th inning — took him only 10 pitches, and that included a strikeout.

177. A DC Wonk - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Anonymous said… What? No inane Debbi Taylor player interviews tonight? How will be ever know what their approach was?You must have slept through it.Lucky thing, you! ;-)

178. Anonymous - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:45 AM

179. natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Indeed, things are looking a little shaky in the land of the flaccid foam hatchets. But that's for this weekend. In the meantime, how about getting our kicks with win 76 tomorrow? As for game commentary, I liked FP's remark as Phans philed out of the park late in the game (evidently it got late early there). "They're not going for popcorn."

180. natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Major League character nominee, just for tonight: Bixler for Roger Darn. "It was out of my reach. What do you want me to do, dive for it?" (We kid because we love.)

181. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Night, all. Sweet dreams of curly W's!

182. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Lannan fell into some seeing eye hits. One of the holes John fell into was the Mayberry stolen base as he gave up that RBI hard single on the next pitch. It was a center cut frustration pitch and luckily it was low in the zone so it was a very hard single. John didn't get the lefties though and he gave up a hit to Worley. That is where John has to toughen up on the lefties.Not a great outing and not a horrible outing and John got a W that he deserved for the many he didn't get when he pitched great. The equalizer!

183. RickH - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Was only able to watch the final two outs. It was fun to read the comments, knowing the outcome. Lots of definite statements about losing, etc., that turned out to be completely wrong. I guess that's the fun of it, huh?

184. Gonat - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Anonymous said… Braves are in trouble. I hate the Cardinals but this is interesting now. Do we hold the Braves' post-season in our hands? September 21, 2011 10:45 PM ________________________________Here's how bad it is. The Braves had an 8 1/2 game lead on September 2nd in the Wild Card. The lead tonight is 1 1/2. Hanson is hurt and Jurrjens is maybe pitching against the Nats this weekend after a good bullpen session today. Their bullpen studs (O'Flaherty/Venters/Kimbrell) are over-used and none of them pitched today. Their top prospect starter Julio Teheran is pitching out of the bullpen now.

185. RickH - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM

I did get to hear about 15 minutes of Charlie and Dave before I got home. They got pretty silly playing off of Schwimer pitching to Schneider. It was pretty funny. At one point, they got the giggles and couldn't say much.

186. natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Care for a little Schadenfreude to go with your morning coffee? A game comment excerpt from the Phillosphere follows (hope I properly redacted all of the expletives):F*****g Danny Espinosa.by Delicious Cake on Sep 21, 2011 8:41 PM EDT reply Da**itby Cole_Hamels_Can on Sep 21, 2011 8:41 PM EDT reply Da**it Worley enough with this regression horse s**t.Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love, now GTFOby Veni Vidi Vici on Sep 21, 2011 8:42 PM EDT reply Amen. :("Valdez can pitch, Lee can hit… and pigs can fly."by dannijd on Sep 21, 2011 9:11 PM EDT via mobile up reply 33% of Espinosa’s HRs are against the Phillies.by Delicious Cake on Sep 21, 2011 8:42 PM EDT reply these guys are really freaking annoyingby Domonate on Sep 21, 2011 8:42 PM EDT reply

187. NatsLady - Sep 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

A pleasure to read. Thanks, 1A.

188. natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM

The pleasure was all mine, NatsLady. :-)

189. Jim Webster - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM

1a you brighten my morning.

190. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Here's how bad it is. The Braves had an 8 1/2 game lead on September 2nd in the Wild Card. The lead tonight is 1 1/2. Not looking past today's game, but re the Braves, Chipper Jones said it feels like the baseball gods have turned their backs on Atlanta.

191. m20832 - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:14 PM

And do we care? O heck NO!! Now that the NL East bullies have turned into sissies (ala red saux), it's time our boys have their fun.Winning is definitely FUN! I believe the last three games will set the pace for next year. F' the mihami fish!GYFNG!!!

192. JaneB - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for the great reading from Philadelphia, 1a!If the baseball gods have turned their backs on the Braves THIS year, wait'll NEXT year when it's our race.

193. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Gotta watch what you say around the baseball gods, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

194. ehay2k - Sep 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Lol – Storen was warming up. Good win for our Nats. FP is right – "this is a new era for this franchise. "Thanks phillies for the fireworks!