Sep 21, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Drew Storen notched saves No. 39 and 40 yesterday in Philadelphia.
Well, that turned out to be quite an eventful Tuesday doubleheader for the Nationals, didn't it?
In sweeping the Phillies — winning 4-3 in 10 innings in the opener, then 3-0 in the nightcap — the Nats pulled off one of their most impressive feats of the season. True, Philadelphia played few regulars in the first game and might not have been as motivated as usual since they've already clinched the NL East and the home-field advantage in the playoffs.
But Cliff Lee sure didn't appear to be going easy on the Nationals last night, and Drew Storen did retire Jimmy Rollins, Placido Polanco and Shane Victorino in the bottom of the ninth.
So let's give the Nats their due credit here and run through some of the most impressive aspects of yesterday's sweep by the numbers…
1 — At-bat for Ryan Zimmerman in the opener, the only one he needed to drive in the winning run with a pinch-hit, RBI single.
2 — Batters faced (and retired) by Henry Rodriguez in the eighth inning of the nightcap. Rodriguez entered with a man on and one out and promptly struck out Carlos Ruiz and got Ross Gload to ground
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants