Sep 21, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Drew Storen notched saves No. 39 and 40 yesterday in Philadelphia.
Well, that turned out to be quite an eventful Tuesday doubleheader for the Nationals, didn't it?
In sweeping the Phillies — winning 4-3 in 10 innings in the opener, then 3-0 in the nightcap — the Nats pulled off one of their most impressive feats of the season. True, Philadelphia played few regulars in the first game and might not have been as motivated as usual since they've already clinched the NL East and the home-field advantage in the playoffs.
But Cliff Lee sure didn't appear to be going easy on the Nationals last night, and Drew Storen did retire Jimmy Rollins, Placido Polanco and Shane Victorino in the bottom of the ninth.
So let's give the Nats their due credit here and run through some of the most impressive aspects of yesterday's sweep by the numbers…
1 — At-bat for Ryan Zimmerman in the opener, the only one he needed to drive in the winning run with a pinch-hit, RBI single.
2 — Batters faced (and retired) by Henry Rodriguez in the eighth inning of the nightcap. Rodriguez entered with a man on and one out and promptly struck out Carlos Ruiz and got Ross Gload to ground
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September