Sep 23, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman congratulates Michael Morse following his eighth-inning homer.
By any measure, what the Nationals just accomplished in Philadelphia was nothing short of remarkable.
A four-game sweep of the five-time NL East champs, on the road, with their four starting pitchers combining to allow three runs? Nobody saw that coming.
Nor did anyone see the Nationals' season-long handling of the Phillies coming. Folks, the Nats just won the season series from the best team in baseball, winning nine of their last 11 to finish 10-8. Yes, they won 10 games against Philadelphia, four more than anyone else in the sport. The only other opponents to post winning records against the Phillies this year? The Cardinals (6-3) and Mariners (2-1).
So a round of applause is in order for Davey Johnson's squad, which suddenly sits at 76-79 and still has visions of finishing above .500 for the first time since the franchise arrived in Washington.
Of course, there is a caveat to all this: The Phillies weren't exactly a motivated bunch this week. Having already clinched the division title, they rested plenty of regulars. And those who did play probably were more concerned with staying healthy than padding their statsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall