Sep 24, 2011, 10:24 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ivan Rodriguez gets a hug from Drew Storen at the end of the Nats’ 4-1 win.
The notion of Chien-Ming Wang and Ivan Rodriguez serving as batterymates for a late-September victory over a division rival fighting for its playoff life would have sounded ludicrous only a few months ago.
Yet there were the veteran right-hander and catcher Saturday afternoon, pairing up to lead the Nationals to a 4-1 win over the fast-fading Braves and energizing a crowd of 33,986 that seemed to appreciate every moment the two provided.
It’s been a long and winding season for both Wang and Rodriguez, heading in opposite directions as the finish line fast approaches. Wang, after missing more than two years with a major shoulder tear, looks stronger and stronger each time he takes the mound and with six sterling innings on Saturday may have ensured his return to Washington in 2012.
Rodriguez, on the other hand, has barely played since straining an oblique muscle before the All-Star break and on Saturday was given a chance to make one final start at Nationals Park before he is cut loose
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug