Sep 24, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth was declared the winner of today's presidents race.
Jayson Werth's disdain for Teddy Roosevelt's losing ways in the nightly presidents race at Nationals Park is well-documented. Earlier this season, the veteran right fielder openly campaigned for the club to let Teddy win a race for the first time ever, suggesting that might actually help the Nationals start winning more games.
This afternoon, Werth finally decided to get into the act himself in what ultimately proved to be a fruitless attempt to get Teddy across the finish line first.
When the middle of the fourth inning between the Nationals and Braves arrived, Werth and center fielder Rick Ankiel waited around for the presidents to emerge, then tried to hold off Thomas Jefferson from taking the lead. Several members of the Nationals bullpen also joined in, leading to a scrum of flailing bodies and giant foam heads in the right-field corner.
Alas, Teddy fell down and never had a chance to pull off the victory. Neither did any of his fellow presidents, who gave up on the raceRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?