Sep 24, 2011, 9:23 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth was declared the winner of today's presidents race.
Jayson Werth's disdain for Teddy Roosevelt's losing ways in the nightly presidents race at Nationals Park is well-documented. Earlier this season, the veteran right fielder openly campaigned for the club to let Teddy win a race for the first time ever, suggesting that might actually help the Nationals start winning more games.
This afternoon, Werth finally decided to get into the act himself in what ultimately proved to be a fruitless attempt to get Teddy across the finish line first.
When the middle of the fourth inning between the Nationals and Braves arrived, Werth and center fielder Rick Ankiel waited around for the presidents to emerge, then tried to hold off Thomas Jefferson from taking the lead. Several members of the Nationals bullpen also joined in, leading to a scrum of flailing bodies and giant foam heads in the right-field corner.
Alas, Teddy fell down and never had a chance to pull off the victory. Neither did any of his fellow presidents, who gave up on the raceRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Significant moment No. 4: Ryan Zimmerman tears his hamstring
- Significant moment No. 5: The kids step up
- Nationals sign Uggla to minor-league deal
- Significant moment No. 6: Nats win 10 in a row
- Jimmy Rollins: Phillies have missed Werth since he signed with Nats
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in