Sep 25, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces the Braves today in the Nationals' 2011 home finale.
And so we have reached the final home game of the season, one last chance for fans to see their team in person and one last chance for the players to thank their supporters. As they've done every year since arriving in town, the Nationals will give away the jerseys off their backs following today's game, and there will be other special moments and surprises.
At the same time, this game means everything to the Braves, who are clinging to a two-game lead over the Cardinals for the NL wild-card. So Davey Johnson still has to treat this as a competitive exercise, and thus he's got all regulars in the lineup against Atlanta left-hander Mike Minor.
Ross Detwiler is on the mound for the Nats, looking to finish his season on a strong note. The young lefty has definitely turned some heads over the last six weeks or so, perhaps to the point where he'll enter 2012 as a favorite to win a rotation spot (he'll be out of minor-league options).
Of course, there will be plenty of time to discuss that and more all winter. For today, just enjoy the home finale. Plenty of updates to come…
BRAVES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from RF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader