Sep 25, 2011, 11:27 PM EDT
The Nats had plenty of reason to celebrate after today’s 3-0 victory.
As the crowd of 37,638 roared and members of the Nationals doffed their caps one last time before disappearing down the dugout steps, Jayson Werth turned to Michael Morse and offered up a prediction.
“This is how it’s going to be,” Werth told his teammate.
If there’s one thing to take away from Sunday’s 3-0 victory over the reeling Braves in the season’s home finale — and there’s plenty to take away from it — that ninth-inning scene stands out above all else.
A near-capacity ballpark had been cheering all afternoon, applauding Ross Detwiler for pitching out of a couple of jams, giving Morse a curtain call after he clubbed his 29th home run, roaring for Henry Rodriguez with each 101 mph fastball, chanting “Drewwwwww” when closer Drew Storen entered from the bullpen and then exploding for the team as a whole when it wrapped up its final home win of the season.
At that moment, Washington felt like a real baseball town. Not because of some special event, an Opening Day or a rookie flamethrower’s debut. No, this was a genuine celebration of an improving ballclub that is closing out 2011 in fine fashion.
“This is what our goal is, to be in this kind of atmosphere,” Morse said. “They’re looking at a good team out there and cheering us on every
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order