Sep 25, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson is likely to return as Nationals manager next season.
The Nationals’ formal search for their 2012 manager will be a brief process and include only a handful of candidates, headlined by Davey Johnson.
General manager Mike Rizzo said today he doesn’t anticipate this search to be as far-reaching or take as long to complete as previous ones he and the Nationals have conducted.
“Because we’ve done this exercise before, we’ve got a very streamlined group of high quality candidates that we’re going to talk to,” Rizzo said before the club’s home finale against the Braves. “I anticipate the process being much quicker, because we’ve already identified a lot of the candidates that we’re going to talk to.”
Johnson, who took over as manager for the rest of this season on June 27 after Jim Riggleman abruptly resigned over a contract dispute, remains the heavy favorite to retain his position. Rizzo attempted to sign Johnson to a long-term contract in June, but Major League Baseball requires clubs to conduct full, formal managerial searches
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge