Sep 27, 2011, 5:01 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse clubbed his 30th homer of the season last night.
Michael Morse raised his arm and began smiling about, oh, three-thousandths of a second after he made contact with Edward Mujica's 1-1 changeup in the top of the ninth inning last night.
And why shouldn't he have? Morse had every reason in the world to be beaming at that moment. Not only because his three-run homer gave the Nationals a 6-4 lead over the Marlins and kept their hopes alive for a winning record in 2011. But also because the blast solidified what we already knew was a fantastic season for one of baseball's biggest breakout players.
That was Morse's 30th home runs of the year, a number that in the post-steroids era represents the demarcation between the game's best power hitters and the rest of the bunch. There are 20 players in the majors this season with 30 homers (five others are sitting on 29 right now and could join the group by tomorrow) and Morse is one of them.
But it doesn't stop there. Only 15 of those players also have at least 90 RBI this season (Morse now has 94).
But it doesn't stop there. Only eight of those players also own a batting average of at least .300. The members of the .300-30-90Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles