Sep 30, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson’s status is priority No. 1 for the Nats this fall.
For the Phillies, Brewers, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Yankees, Tigers, Rangers and Rays, the postseason begins today. For everybody else, the offseason has commenced.
Which means the Nationals need to get to work addressing all of their various issues between now and Opening Day 2012.
They need to decide who will manage the club next season. They need to decide which of their pending free agents they will attempt to re-sign. They need to decide which free agents from other clubs they will attempt to pursue. They need to make sure their injured players are healing and rehabbing on schedule. They need to keep tabs on anyone playing fall or winter ball.
Baseball, of course, has become a year-round sport. There’s no such thing as a quiet offseason anymore. So with that in mind, here are the top five issues facing the Nationals before pitchers and catchers report for spring training…
1. CHOOSE A MANAGER
Obviously, this is priority No. 1, though it shouldn’t be a terribly complicated process and it shouldn’t take very long to be completed.
Davey Johnson wants to return. Mike Rizzo loves Davey Johnson. The team responded well to him, especially down the stretch. He’s already got the framework of a contract in place that will pay him a nice
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts