Oct 1, 2011, 12:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Justin Verlander starts tonight's series opener at Yankee Stadium.
No pitcher in baseball had the kind of season Justin Verlander did. The Tigers ace posted a stunning 24-5 record to go with a 2.40 ERA and 250 strikeouts. And now he attempts to lead Detroit to its first World Series title in 27 years. The challenge — going head-to-head with Yankees ace CC Sabathia — is a stiff one, but who would you rather have matched up against Sabathia and New York's potent lineup than Verlander?
The Tigers have quite a potent lineup of their own, headlined by Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez. They've got a closer in Jose Valverde who was a perfect 49-for-49 in save opportunities this season. And they've got the kind of rotation depth the Yankees wish they had right now.
Will that be enough to pull off a series victory? Scroll down for my prediction…
AL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 1
DETROIT TIGERS at NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Yankee Stadium
Gametime: 8:37 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to RF
CF Austin Jackson
RF Magglio Ordonez
LF Delmon Young
1B Miguel Cabrera
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard
- Phillies willing to trade Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee
- Nats expect McLouth to get significant playing time
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander