Oct 1, 2011, 10:30 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Kelly Shoppach was the surprise offensive hero of Game 1 for the Rays.
They dominated Game 1 yesterday behind Matt Moore's seven shutout innings and Kelly Shoppach's surprising power. Now, the Rays look to take complete control of their division series against the Rangers in Game 2 tonight.
Tampa Bay has to like its chances with James Shields on the hill. The veteran right-hander beat Texas twice this season, allowing one total run over 17 innings. He also tossed a major-league-leading 11 complete games this year, giving manager Joe Maddon comfort when it comes time to using his bullpen.
In order to knot the series back up at one game apiece, the Rangers need a big performance from lefty Derek Holland, who finished the season on a prolonged hot streak. The 24-year-old went 10-1 with a 2.77 ERA over his final 15 starts, which should give manager Ron Washington some peace of mind heading into this crucial ballgame…
AL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 2
TAMPA BAY RAYS at TEXAS RANGERS
Where: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Gametime: 7:07 p.m.
Radio: XM 181
Weather: Sunny, 82 degrees, Wind 5 mph LF to RF
LF Desmond Jennings
CF B.J. Upton
3B Evan Longoria
2B Ben Zobrist
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett