Oct 1, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Albert Pujols leads the red-hot Cardinals into Philadelphia.
There's no understating what the St. Louis Cardinals managed to pull off over the season's final three weeks, winning 16 of their last 21 games to overtake the collapsing Atlanta Braves and seize the NL wild-card. And what's their reward for all that? A division series matchup with the Philadelphia Phillies, baseball's best team all season.
As we all painfully know, the Phillies boast the most dominant rotation in the game, the quartet of aces known as Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels that gives this team every reason to believe it will win every time it steps on the field.
Which isn't to say this is a slam-dunk sweep for the Phillies. Their lineup was pretty banged up at the end of the season, raising some question marks. And Ryan Madson, though he excelled in his first year as closer, hasn't done it in the postseason yet. Throw in the fact the Cardinals actually won the season series, 6-3, and perhaps they have a chance here.
What's my prediction? Scroll down to read it…
NL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 1
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 5:07 p.m.
Radio: XM 89
Weather: Showers, 62 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
SS Rafael Furcal
RF Allen Craig
1B Albert Pujols
LF Lance Berkman
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?