Oct 2, 2011, 12:30 AM EST
US Presswire photo
The Yankee Stadium grounds crew has been kept busy the last two nights.
When Game 1 of this series was suspended in the middle of the second inning last night, all the pundits immediately tried to figure out which team would benefit the most from the 24-hour rain delay. Prevailing wisdom suggested the Yankees would benefit more than the Tigers, because they now only have to face Justin Verlander once in the series.
I'm not so sure about that, though. What the suspension means to me is that both teams are going to have to rely on their pitching depth more than they would have had last night's game been played in its entirety. And as I argued yesterday, the Tigers' rotation depth is their biggest advantage over the Yankees.
I suppose we'll find out soon enough, as Doug Fister and Ivan Nova take over for Verlander and CC Sabathia. The forecast is once again iffy, so it could be another long night in the Bronx…
AL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 1 (cont.)
DETROIT TIGERS at NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Yankee Stadium
Gametime: 8:37 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 178
Weather: Chance of rain, 60 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
CF Austin Jackson
RF Magglio Ordonez
LF Delmon Young
1B Miguel Cabrera
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats