Oct 2, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter and Co. trounced the Tigers in Game 1 last night.
So much for the idea that the Tigers would most benefit from Friday night's rainout in the Bronx because of their deeper rotation. While Yankees starter Ivan Nova dominated last night in the resumption of Game 1, Doug Fister was shellacked by New York's potent lineup, leading to a 9-3 pounding and a 1-0 series lead.
Now, with word from Joe Girardi that CC Sabathia will come back to start Game 3 tomorrow in Detroit, it's the Tigers who are feeling pressure to do something today in Game 2 and ensure the series is tied back up. (FYI: Justin Verlander also will come back tomorrow.) Jim Leyland will send Max Scherzer to the mound today, hoping the young right-hander can harness his stuff and shut down the Yankees. Scherzer struggled down the stretch, posting a 6.32 ERA over his last three starts.
Freddy Garcia, meanwhile, gets the nod for New York, and he too labored to record outs late this season. In four September starts, his ERA was a hefty 7.36.
AL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 2
DETROIT TIGERS at NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Yankee Stadium
Gametime: 3:07 p.m.
Radio: XM 178
Weather: Partly cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
CF Austin Jackson
RF Magglio Ordonez
LF Delmon Young
1B Miguel Cabrera
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves
- Stephen Strasburg goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Nats, Harper settle on 2-year deal, avoid hearing