Oct 3, 2011, 12:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Citizens Bank Park erupted last night when Ryan Howard homered off Kyle Lohse.
Why did the Phillies fork over $120 to Cliff Lee last winter? Because they wanted him on the mound for games like this. No pitcher on the planet has owned the postseason like Lee has since 2009, and that even includes a couple of eggs he laid in each of the last two World Series.
Tonight, Lee will be on the mound at Citizens Bank Park, looking to put Philadelphia up 2-0 in its division series against St. Louis, which desperately needs a big-time performance from ace Chris Carpenter. Carpenter was brilliant in Wednesday night's regular-season finale, shutting out the Astros to help the Cardinals clinch the wild-card. But this will be the first time he's pitching on three days' rest, so there's no way to know what you're going to get out of him.
Makes for a compelling matchup in the nightcap of today's postseason tripleheader. Enjoy…
NL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 2
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 8:37 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 185
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 51 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
SS Rafael Furcal
RF Allen Craig
1B Albert Pujols
LF Lance Berkman
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday