Oct 4, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Second baseman Danny Espinosa impressed during his rookie season.
Throughout the week, we'll be breaking down the Nationals' roster by position (catcher, infield, outfield, rotation and bullpen) and looking both where things stand at the end of the season and where things might stand moving forward. Today's position: Infield…
1B ADAM LaROCHE
Stats: 43 G, 177 PA, 3 HR, 15 RBI, .172 AVG, .288 OBP, .258 SLG
0 E, 3.8 UZR, -0.2 WAR
2011 salary: $7 million
Contract status: $8 million in 2012, $10 million mutual option in 2013
Where he fits in: After missing most of this season with a torn labrum in his shoulder, LaRoche is expected to be 100 percent healthy for spring training. If so, he'll retain his starting job at first base. Team officials love his glovework, and they believe he'll produce at the plate again once his shoulder has healed. Because he'll be a pending free agent (unless both sides want to pick up that 2013 option) he'll be a prime trade candidate come July, a move that would allow the Nationals to move Michael Morse back to first base.
2B DANNY ESPINOSA
Stats: 158 G, 658 PA, 21 HR, 66 RBI, .236 AVG, .323 OBP, .414 SLG
14 E, 1.0 UZR, 3.5 WAR
2011 salary: $415,000Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises