Oct 4, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Second baseman Danny Espinosa impressed during his rookie season.
Throughout the week, we'll be breaking down the Nationals' roster by position (catcher, infield, outfield, rotation and bullpen) and looking both where things stand at the end of the season and where things might stand moving forward. Today's position: Infield…
1B ADAM LaROCHE
Stats: 43 G, 177 PA, 3 HR, 15 RBI, .172 AVG, .288 OBP, .258 SLG
0 E, 3.8 UZR, -0.2 WAR
2011 salary: $7 million
Contract status: $8 million in 2012, $10 million mutual option in 2013
Where he fits in: After missing most of this season with a torn labrum in his shoulder, LaRoche is expected to be 100 percent healthy for spring training. If so, he'll retain his starting job at first base. Team officials love his glovework, and they believe he'll produce at the plate again once his shoulder has healed. Because he'll be a pending free agent (unless both sides want to pick up that 2013 option) he'll be a prime trade candidate come July, a move that would allow the Nationals to move Michael Morse back to first base.
2B DANNY ESPINOSA
Stats: 158 G, 658 PA, 21 HR, 66 RBI, .236 AVG, .323 OBP, .414 SLG
14 E, 1.0 UZR, 3.5 WAR
2011 salary: $415,000Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game