Oct 5, 2011, 12:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Derek Jeter, who struck out to end last night's game, has struggled in the clutch.
This would be the scenario the Yankees never wanted to face: A do-or-die game with A.J. Burnett on the mound. The A.J. Burnett who owns a 5.26 ERA over the last two seasons in New York. The A.J. Burnett who led all of baseball with 25 wild pitches this year. (And you thought Henry Rodriguez struggled with command.)
But here's the thing: Even if Burnett twirls a gem tonight in Game 4 of the ALDS, the Yankees still need their big boppers to start producing at the plate. That hasn't been the case so far in this series. Alex Rodriguez is 0-for-10. Mark Teixeira is 1-for-11. Even Derek Jeter (despite four hits overall) has been abysmal in clutch situations; with runners in scoring position, he's 0-for-5 with four strikeouts (including the final out of last night's game).
Detroit's pitching, of course, has had something to do with all that. And tonight the Tigers send another good young right-hander to the mound in Rick Porcello. The 22-year-old didn't have a great season (14-9, 4.75 ERA) but he posted five consecutive quality starts in September. One more tonight could send Detroit to the ALCS…
AL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 4
NEW YORK YANKEES at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 8:37 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 63 degrees, Wind 3 mph out to LF
SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
2B Robinson Cano
3B Alex Rodriguez
1B Mark Teixeira
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann gives up first run as Nats split squad loses 2-1
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?