Oct 5, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth's first season in D.C. didn't quite go as he hoped it would.
Throughout the week, we'll be breaking down the Nationals' roster by position (catcher, infield, outfield, rotation and bullpen) and looking both where things stand at the end of the season and where things might stand moving forward. Today's position: Outfield…
Stats: 150 G, 649 PA, 20 HR, 58 RBI, .232 AVG, .330 OBP, .389 SLG
8 E, 1.0 UZR, 2.5 WAR
2011 salary: $10.571 million
Contract status: $13.571 million in 2012, $16.571 million in 2013, $20.571 million in 2014, $21.571 million in 2015, $21.571 million in 2016, $21.571 million in 2017, free agent in 2018
Where he fits in: Well, he's signed for six more years and $115.4 million more, so he better fit in somewhere. After a disappointing first season in Washington, Werth will hope to come out of the gates swinging a better bat in 2012. It's still uncertain which outfield position he'll occupy. If the Nationals acquire a true center fielder, Werth will remain in right. If they feel like they're better off acquiring a right fielder, Werth will be in center. And with Bryce Harper arriving in the not-too-distant future, it's possible Werth could wind up finishing out his contract in left field.
Stats: 146 G, 575 PA, 31 HR, 95 RBI, .303 AVG, .360 OBP, .550 SLG
7 E, -5.1 UZR at 1B, -7.9 UZR in LF, 3.4 WAR
2011 salary: $1.050 millionRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann gives up first run as Nats split squad loses 2-1
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?