Oct 6, 2011, 11:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Yankee Stadium hosts the decisive fifth game of this division series.
And so it has come to this: A do-or-die ballgame in the Bronx between the Yankees and Tigers, the winner advancing to face the Rangers in the ALCS, the loser trudging home for a long winter. It doesn't get much more compelling than this.
Actually, this could have set up as one of the all-time pitching matchups, with CC Sabathia facing Justin Verlander for all the marbles. Unfortunately, that Game 1 rain suspension destroyed that possibility, so it's a rematch of the continuation of that game in Ivan Nova vs. Doug Fister.
Nova got the better of Fister in that matchup. This, however, could be a different story, primarily because neither manager will have a long leash on his starter tonight. They'll make a change at the first sign of trouble, and just about everybody will be available to pitch. Just don't look for Verlander. Jim Leyland insists his ace will not be used under any scenario, and earlier today Verlander threw a bullpen session, which would seem to confirm he's not available tonight.
Enjoy the game…
AL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 5
DETROIT TIGERS at NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Yankee Stadium
Gametime: 8:07 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 59 degrees, Wind 3 mph out to RF
CF Austin Jackson
3B Don Kelly
LF Delmon Young
1B Miguel Cabrera
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation