Oct 6, 2011, 11:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Yankee Stadium hosts the decisive fifth game of this division series.
And so it has come to this: A do-or-die ballgame in the Bronx between the Yankees and Tigers, the winner advancing to face the Rangers in the ALCS, the loser trudging home for a long winter. It doesn't get much more compelling than this.
Actually, this could have set up as one of the all-time pitching matchups, with CC Sabathia facing Justin Verlander for all the marbles. Unfortunately, that Game 1 rain suspension destroyed that possibility, so it's a rematch of the continuation of that game in Ivan Nova vs. Doug Fister.
Nova got the better of Fister in that matchup. This, however, could be a different story, primarily because neither manager will have a long leash on his starter tonight. They'll make a change at the first sign of trouble, and just about everybody will be available to pitch. Just don't look for Verlander. Jim Leyland insists his ace will not be used under any scenario, and earlier today Verlander threw a bullpen session, which would seem to confirm he's not available tonight.
Enjoy the game…
AL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 5
DETROIT TIGERS at NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Yankee Stadium
Gametime: 8:07 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 59 degrees, Wind 3 mph out to RF
CF Austin Jackson
3B Don Kelly
LF Delmon Young
1B Miguel Cabrera
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth
- LaRoche hopes to be a National 'for the rest of my career'
- MLB announces World Series schedule