Oct 6, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann established himself as a front-line starter this year.
Throughout the week, we'll be breaking down the Nationals' roster by position (catcher, infield, outfield, rotation and bullpen) and looking both where things stand at the end of the season and where things might stand moving forward. Today's position: The starting rotation…
Stats: 1-1, 1.50 ERA, 24 IP, 0.708 WHIP, 9.0 K/9, 0.8 BB/9
2011 salary: $2.5 million
Contract status: $3 million in 2012, arbitration-eligible in 2014, free agent in 2017
Where he fits in: With five brilliant September starts, Strasburg proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he's 100 percent healthy following Tommy John surgery. Now he'll get a chance to rest up all winter and return next spring ready for the long haul. The Nationals will limit his innings in 2012 and likely shut him down in September (just as they did with Jordan Zimmermann this season) but Strasburg will be allowed to go seven-plus innings each time he takes the mound with no hard-and-fast pitch count.
Stats: 8-11, 3.18 ERA, 161.1 IP, 1.147 WHIP, 6.9 K/9, 1.7 BB/9
2011 salary: $415,000Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants