Oct 6, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann established himself as a front-line starter this year.
Throughout the week, we'll be breaking down the Nationals' roster by position (catcher, infield, outfield, rotation and bullpen) and looking both where things stand at the end of the season and where things might stand moving forward. Today's position: The starting rotation…
Stats: 1-1, 1.50 ERA, 24 IP, 0.708 WHIP, 9.0 K/9, 0.8 BB/9
2011 salary: $2.5 million
Contract status: $3 million in 2012, arbitration-eligible in 2014, free agent in 2017
Where he fits in: With five brilliant September starts, Strasburg proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he's 100 percent healthy following Tommy John surgery. Now he'll get a chance to rest up all winter and return next spring ready for the long haul. The Nationals will limit his innings in 2012 and likely shut him down in September (just as they did with Jordan Zimmermann this season) but Strasburg will be allowed to go seven-plus innings each time he takes the mound with no hard-and-fast pitch count.
Stats: 8-11, 3.18 ERA, 161.1 IP, 1.147 WHIP, 6.9 K/9, 1.7 BB/9
2011 salary: $415,000Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance