Oct 8, 2011, 9:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Justin Verlander leads the Tigers into Texas for the ALCS.
If the rest of this month produces even half the drama we've seen in the last 10 days, this will go down as the greatest postseason in baseball history. Between the frantic final day of the regular season and then the three decisive Game 5's the last two days — each of them decided by one run — it's been a glorious time to be a baseball fan.
And now we move on to the final four. Tomorrow, the Cardinals and Brewers will commence what has the potential to be an epic NLCS given all the personalities and bad blood between those two franchises. But first up tonight, the Tigers and Rangers get the ALCS underway with the best pitcher in the sport taking the mound.
Detroit managed to topple the Yankees in the Division Series despite getting only one start out of Justin Verlander. He'll need to play a bigger role in this series for the Tigers to emerge victorious, and it's quite possible he will if Jim Leyland lets him start Games 4 and 7 on short rest. Verlander's task is no picnic. He's got to face a deep and prodigious Texas lineup, not to mention a top-notch lefty in C.J. Wilson, who will look to get the Rangers one step closer to a return trip to the World Series.
How will this series ultimately play out? Scroll down for my prediction…
AL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES – GAME 1
DETROIT TIGERS at TEXAS RANGERS
Where: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Chance of storms, 82 degrees, Wind 11 mph in from CF
CF Austin Jackon
LF Ryan Raburn
1B Miguel Cabrera
DH Victor Martinez
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal
- Scherzer signing shows Nats' continued growth as a franchise