Oct 8, 2011, 12:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Roy Halladay faces Chris Carpenter in an epic pitchers' duel.
As the Phillies have assembled their star-laden roster over the last year — signing Cliff Lee, trading for Hunter Pence — they had one clear goal in mind: Win another World Series. Or, at the very least, reach the Fall Classic for the third time in four years. They did not do all this merely to win the NL East and get knocked out in the first round.
The Cardinals, on the other hand, didn't even have reason to think they'd reach the postseason as recently as three weeks ago when the Braves were running away with the NL wild-card. Then came the historic St. Louis run/Atlanta collapse … and, well, here we find ourselves tonight. So, which team do you think feels pressure to win this do-or-die game at Citizens Bank Park, and which team is playing with house money at this point?
You couldn't ask for a better storyline, or a better pitching matchup, than this. The weight of the Phillies' lofty expectations all reside on the Roy Halladay's shoulder. Meanwhile, his former teammate from Toronto, Chris Carpenter, looks to extend the Cardinals' remarkable run.
Unfortunately, I'll be tied up at Yom Kippur services this evening, so I had to create this game thread in advance and set it to automatically post before lineups were announced. I trust one of you faithful readers will pass it along once it becomes available. Enjoy the game…
NL DIVISION SERIES – GAME 5
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 8:37 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 60 degrees, Wind 3 mph out to LF
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game