Oct 9, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The grounds crew in Texas was kept busy last night.
After experiencing more than two hours of rain delays last night, and with the forecast of more rain to come tonight, Major League Baseball chose to postpone Game 2 of the American League Championship Series hours before the scheduled 8:05 p.m. first pitch.
The game now will be played tomorrow at 4:19 p.m., negating what originally would have been a travel day for both the Rangers and Tigers. Game 3 will be played as scheduled Tuesday night in Detroit.
Though the skies in Arlington, Texas, were bright and clear all afternoon, a major system was making its way into the area and was expected to prevent the game from being played without interruption. Rather than risk the kind of lengthy delays that marred last night's series opener, officials decided not to take the chance.
The postponement shouldn't affect either team's rotation; both Derek Holland and Max Scherzer are slated to start Game 2. The Tigers, though, were dealt another major blow when it was revealed rightRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)