Oct 9, 2011, 4:25 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Nyjer Morgan will be a key figure in this series between intense rivals.
This National League Championship Series features no shortage of star power. Pujols. Fielder. La Russa. Braun. Carpenter. Greinke. Yet all the attention leading into this showdown between the Cardinals and Brewers was centered on … Nyjer Morgan and a squirrel.
Yep, this is going to be quite a series. Tony Plush has thrust himself onto the national stage, both because of his performance on the field (his game-winning single Friday night to eliminate the Diamondbacks) and his antics off the field (dropping several F-bombs on live TV, not to mention referring to Albert Pujols as "Alberta" on Twitter a few weeks ago).
And it's not all sideshow theater. Nyjer legitimately is going to play a key role in this series. As we all saw here in 2009, when he's on his game and channeling his energy in positive ways, he can be one of the most dynamic players in baseball. And as we saw last year, when he's off his game and channeling that energy in negative ways, he can cause damage to his own team. (Of course, he's not in the lineup today with lefty Jaime Garcia on the mound for St. Louis.)
How will this series all play out? Will Morgan or the St. Louis Rally Squirrel prevail? Scroll down for my prediction…
NL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES – GAME 1
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m.
Radio: WSPZ (570 AM), XM 185
Weather: Sunny, 74 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from CF
SS Rafael Furcal
CF Jon Jay
1B Albert Pujols
RF Lance Berkman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins