Oct 9, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Nyjer Morgan will be a key figure in this series between intense rivals.
This National League Championship Series features no shortage of star power. Pujols. Fielder. La Russa. Braun. Carpenter. Greinke. Yet all the attention leading into this showdown between the Cardinals and Brewers was centered on … Nyjer Morgan and a squirrel.
Yep, this is going to be quite a series. Tony Plush has thrust himself onto the national stage, both because of his performance on the field (his game-winning single Friday night to eliminate the Diamondbacks) and his antics off the field (dropping several F-bombs on live TV, not to mention referring to Albert Pujols as "Alberta" on Twitter a few weeks ago).
And it's not all sideshow theater. Nyjer legitimately is going to play a key role in this series. As we all saw here in 2009, when he's on his game and channeling his energy in positive ways, he can be one of the most dynamic players in baseball. And as we saw last year, when he's off his game and channeling that energy in negative ways, he can cause damage to his own team. (Of course, he's not in the lineup today with lefty Jaime Garcia on the mound for St. Louis.)
How will this series all play out? Will Morgan or the St. Louis Rally Squirrel prevail? Scroll down for my prediction…
NL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES – GAME 1
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m.
Radio: WSPZ (570 AM), XM 185
Weather: Sunny, 74 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from CF
SS Rafael Furcal
CF Jon Jay
1B Albert Pujols
RF Lance Berkman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals