Oct 9, 2011, 4:25 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Nyjer Morgan will be a key figure in this series between intense rivals.
This National League Championship Series features no shortage of star power. Pujols. Fielder. La Russa. Braun. Carpenter. Greinke. Yet all the attention leading into this showdown between the Cardinals and Brewers was centered on … Nyjer Morgan and a squirrel.
Yep, this is going to be quite a series. Tony Plush has thrust himself onto the national stage, both because of his performance on the field (his game-winning single Friday night to eliminate the Diamondbacks) and his antics off the field (dropping several F-bombs on live TV, not to mention referring to Albert Pujols as "Alberta" on Twitter a few weeks ago).
And it's not all sideshow theater. Nyjer legitimately is going to play a key role in this series. As we all saw here in 2009, when he's on his game and channeling his energy in positive ways, he can be one of the most dynamic players in baseball. And as we saw last year, when he's off his game and channeling that energy in negative ways, he can cause damage to his own team. (Of course, he's not in the lineup today with lefty Jaime Garcia on the mound for St. Louis.)
How will this series all play out? Will Morgan or the St. Louis Rally Squirrel prevail? Scroll down for my prediction…
NL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES – GAME 1
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m.
Radio: WSPZ (570 AM), XM 185
Weather: Sunny, 74 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from CF
SS Rafael Furcal
CF Jon Jay
1B Albert Pujols
RF Lance Berkman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals sign three to minor league deals with spring invites
- Could baseball return to Montreal? Maybe, possibly
- Nate McLouth called LaRoche before joining Nats
- NatsFest 2014 details announced with new venue
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions