Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jim Riggleman will interview for the Mets' vacant bench coach job today.
Though Jim Riggleman knew he might never get a chance to manage again when he abruptly resigned from the Nationals in June over a contract dispute, he also knew he still had plenty of friends in the game who might be willing to offer him work.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy wound up helping Riggleman secure a special assignment scouting position over the summer. And now the 58-year-old is getting an opportunity to interview for a spot on a big-league coaching staff.
Riggleman will interview today with the Mets for their vacant bench coach job, sources familiar with the process confirmed, raising the possibility he could wind up on the staff of one of the Nats' division rivals.
Riggleman is just one of several candidates up for the job — former A's manager Bob Geren also is slated to interview today — but he appears to be a strong contender and has a longstanding relationship withRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Instant analysis: Nats 6, Marlins 3
- Nationals face dominant Fernandez in series finale
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper's heating up
- Strasburg’s poor outing continues troubling early season trend
- Strasburg's rough outing (VIDEO)
- Stephen Strasburg surrenders six in loss to Miami
- Braves fan trolls Nats with Wikipedia page entry (PHOTO)
- Strasburg looks to make it two in a row vs. Marlins
- Around the NL East: Braves rolling, Marlins reeling
- Orioles billboard spotted along D.C. line