Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jim Riggleman will interview for the Mets' vacant bench coach job today.
Though Jim Riggleman knew he might never get a chance to manage again when he abruptly resigned from the Nationals in June over a contract dispute, he also knew he still had plenty of friends in the game who might be willing to offer him work.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy wound up helping Riggleman secure a special assignment scouting position over the summer. And now the 58-year-old is getting an opportunity to interview for a spot on a big-league coaching staff.
Riggleman will interview today with the Mets for their vacant bench coach job, sources familiar with the process confirmed, raising the possibility he could wind up on the staff of one of the Nats' division rivals.
Riggleman is just one of several candidates up for the job — former A's manager Bob Geren also is slated to interview today — but he appears to be a strong contender and has a longstanding relationship withRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B