Nats will host Red Sox in exhibition

Oct 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT

The new-look Red Sox Nation will be invading D.C. in advance of Opening Day 2012.

The Nationals announced today they will host Boston in an exhibition game April 3 at Nationals Park, two days before their season opener against the Cubs in Chicago. Gametime or ticket information hasn't been announced yet.

This will be the second time the Red Sox have come to town for a pre-Opening Day exhibition; the two teams also met in 2010.

This latest matchup will feature some added intrigue, given Boston's recent September collapse and departures of both manager Terry Francona and general manager Theo Epstein.

The Nationals also are due to face the Red Sox in interleague play, June 8-10 at Fenway Park.

Though the Nationals' spring training scheduled hasn't been releasedRead more »

1. Doc - Oct 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Will the Nats offer beer and fried chicken in the visitors' clubhouse?

2. Feel Wood - Oct 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Meanwhile, it appears the Mets won't be hiring Jim Riggleman for their vacant bench coach position.That's what he gets for naming Jayson Werth, Jason Marquis and Nyjer Morgan when they asked him to provide three professional references.

3. Anonymous - Oct 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Money grab by the Lerners yet again, civic pride and Nats fans b damned.

4. raymitten - Oct 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Yes, I never get an opportunity to see and hear about the Red Sox. I'm so excited to see a bloated payroll and have another group of bandwagon fans try to outshout me in my own ballpark. Thanks, Nats.

5. Natslifer - Oct 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM

A repeat of the Philly Opening Day (a real game inside the division) would be totally unacceptable but as long as the Lerners continue to spend on talent appropriately I have no problem with this – let all those green B hats invade and give us their money. When we beat them soundly it'll prove the Nats are on the right path and the bloated Bo Sox are not.

6. Section 222 - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM

7. Feel Wood - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Oh boy. Can't wait to put my season tix up on StubHub and make a mint off of Red Sox Nation. Oh wait, this game isn't part of the the STH plan? Hmmm.I bet it will be. The 2010 Red Sox exhibition game was, and as I recall they gave STH that one for free, or perhaps half price.

8. NatsLady - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Oooh, FW found the funny today. Don't see the big deal–doubt I can afford to vacation in Florida for spring training, so get to see the boys a few days early! The Baseball America guys are REALLY high on Brad Peacock, they are already putting him in the Nats' rotation.

9. Steve M. - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM

A shame that there is so much negativity in a few of the comments. Last year there wasn't a pre-season game in DC and people complained.Also in the past, the proceeds of these pre-season games went to the Dream Foundation as their biggest fundraiser. Don't know if that is the case but to complain is just foolish.

10. Wally - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:56 PM

NL – what are you referring to? Not a subscriber but did a quick check of their site and didn't see anything obvious.Maybe I am alone in this, but I think Peacock could use a little more time in AAA working on his command. There was a noticeable deterioration in his control numbers at AAA.

11. oldguyjim - Oct 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM

You know …. some guys would complain if they were hung with a new rope!

12. Steve M. - Oct 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM

To Section 222:Updated, 1:50 p.m.: From a Nationals news release:Game time has yet to be determined. As a benefit to 2012 season ticket holders, all those with full, half and partial season ticket plans will receive tickets for the game at half their regular season ticket price. Details for the team’s 2012 season ticket plans are available online at nationals.com/tickets. …Beginning next week, the added Red Sox game will be visible in all existing season ticket holder accounts and included as part of any new 2012 season ticket plan.

13. Anonymous - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM

So, the Nats front office should be criticized for scheduling a home exhibition game against an attractive opponent and giving season ticket holders a 50% discount on tickets?

14. JaneB - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Let people complain all they want. I can't wait to see my guys in person again, and be able, once again, to say GYFNG!

15. Drew8 - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Wally 2:56 said: "NL – what are you referring to (regarding Brad Peacock)? Not a subscriber but did a quick check of (Baseball America's) site and didn't see anything obvious."On Oct. 4 NationalsProspects.com reported that Baseball America had named Peacock the No. 4 prospect in the Eastern League.In that post "Sue Dinem" quoted from John Manuel's Baseball America chat. Manuel said he sees Peacock as a future No. 3.:Q: [Matt (West Chester, PA)]: I was surprised to see Peacock get grouped together with Turner and Banuelos, let alone rank ahead of both. Considering Peacock’s year and development, has his ceiling jumped from #3 to #2?A: I really like Peacock a lot, and gave him the edge because of my single-minded (probably to a fault) emphasis of guys pitching off their fastball. Peacock went through lineups three times using mostly his heater. I like his fastball command…[it's] electric… and he’s a good athlete. I like him as a future No. 3 starter, which is convenient as he slots in behind Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann.

16. Mr Old Style - Oct 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM

they sell tickets to the game but if I recall correctly the last time the nats/sox met in a similar exhibition game there were plenty of tickets from the nats available and plenty on stubhub selling below face. So money but not a money bomb like the regular season series that was three years ago.

17. natsfan1a - Oct 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I'm just a lowly micro plan holder but I was easily able to obtain tix to the prior exhibition game vs. the Red Sox. Don't know that I'll make this one, though, as I believe it's on a weekday.

18. natsfan1a - Oct 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

And I realize that exhibition games are "meaningless" but, like Jane, I'm always excited to see my Nats for the first time each year.

19. NatsLady - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Wally, the most recent podcast of Baseball America had a long and quite favorable discussion of Peacock.