Oct 19, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Busch Stadium hosts Game 1 of the Fall Classic tonight.
This World Series matchup — Texas vs. St. Louis — is being billed as a huge surprise, but maybe it's not as big a shocker as we want to believe.
After all, the Rangers were the defending American League champs. And though they lost Cliff Lee over the winter, we knew they had a really talented roster and the potential to repeat. And though the Cardinals lost co-ace Adam Wainwright to Tommy John surgery back in spring training, we knew this team still had the game's greatest player in Albert Pujols, another big-time slugger in Matt Holliday, another ace in Chris Carpenter and one of the best managers this sport has ever known in Tony La Russa.
The point here isn't that we should have picked someone other than the Phillies or Yankees, but rather that the two teams that did reach the Fall Classic actually deserve to be here. Whichever club emerges triumphant over the next week, it won't be a fluke.
Which club will that be? Let's break down the series and make a prediction. Also, make sure to submit your pick in the poll to the right of the screen. Based on the submissions so far, looks like this is going to be a close one…
TEXAS RANGERS VS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Game 1 – Tonight, 8:05 p.m., Texas (Wilson) at St. Louis (Carpenter)
Game 2 — Tomorrow, 8:05 p.m., Texas (Lewis) at St. Louis (Garcia)
Game 3 — Saturday, 8:05 p.m., St. Louis (Lohse) at Texas (Holland)Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards