Oct 19, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
It's been cold and rainy in St. Louis all day.
If it's late October and it's the Midwest, weather is probably going to be a factor. Sure enough, the World Series opens tonight in St. Louis in dreary conditions: Temperatures in the 40s, rain in the forecast and a strong wind blowing across the field from left to right.
It doesn't appear the conditions are bad enough to necessitate a delay, but it'll be interesting to see how the two teams handle the situation, especially a Rangers club that is used to playing in a much warmer climate.
Both clubs were able to set up their rotations to have their No. 1 starters on the mound, so it's Chris Carpenter vs. C.J. Wilson. This would be a nice time for either ace to actually toss a quality start, something no member of either rotation did during the LCS.
Because the game is being played in an NL park, there will be no DH tonight or tomorrow. That shouldn't be a big deal for the Rangers, who will have Michael Young at first base (he's adept at all four infield positions, and Mitch Moreland hasn't been particularly effective himself during the postseason)…
107th WORLD SERIES – GAME 1
TEXAS RANGERS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WSPZ (570 AM), XM 89
Weather: Showers, 47 degrees, Wind 23 mph LF to RF
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Elvis Andrus
CF Josh Hamilton
1B Michael Young
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche