Oct 20, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
Despite speculation from national media outlets that the Nationals will be among the clubs making serious overtures to free agent first basemen Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder this winter, general manager Mike Rizzo insists he’s “comfortable” with his team’s current crop of first basemen.
The Nationals already have veteran Adam LaRoche (who missed most of this season with a left shoulder tear) signed for 2012 at $8 million. They also have Michael Morse coming off a breakthrough season in which he led the team with 31 homers, 95 RBI and a .303 average, with the majority of his playing time coming at first base while LaRoche was on the disabled list.
That hasn’t stopped national media outlets from spreading rumors about the Nationals’ possible interest in one of the two premier free agents about to hit the open market, particularly Fielder (whose agent, Scott Boras, already represents a number of Washington players including Jayson Werth, Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper).
During an interview with CSN Washington, though, Rizzo gave a strong endorsement to the first basemen already on his roster.
“We’d never put down any type of definitive statements at this time of the offseason, but suffice it to say, we feel comfortable with the first base situation as it is,” Rizzo said. “That’s not to say something
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain