Oct 20, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler is one of several young arms the Nationals have in their arsenal.
We've talked a lot already this offseason about what positions the Nationals need to improve to get themselves closer to contention in 2012. This morning, let's turn the tables a bit and talk about what positions they might actually find themselves overstocked.
Mike Rizzo has often explained the two byproducts of building up a deep farm system: 1) To supply your big-league roster with talented, young players, and 2) To give yourself some trade chips to go out and acquire something else you need.
Perhaps for the first time since they arrived in town, the Nationals find themselves in a situation where they could move some young players from a position of depth in order to address another position of need.
This especially appears to be true in the pitching department. In addition to their two young studs — Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann — the Nats also have a potential surplus of starters age 27 or younger: John Lannan, Ross Detwiler, Brad Peacock and TommyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September