Oct 20, 2011, 11:30 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Hitting coach Mark McGwire congratulates Jason Motte following last night's win.
I hope I wasn't the only one who really enjoyed watching Game 1 of the World Series last night, happy to see a couple of aces actually pitch well and a tight, one-run game come down to a couple of key moments that tested both managers' ability to utilize both their benches and their bullpens. If that was an indication of things to come, this could be a really compelling series.
We'll have to see if the trend continues tonight in Game 2, though, with the spotlight now on Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia and Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis. Obviously, Texas faces some pressure to win this game and avoid falling into a 2-0 hole heading back home over the weekend.
The pressure also is on Ron Washington to not let Tony La Russa dictate the matchups the way he did during some crucial moments last night. It'll be real interesting to see if Washington does anything different in this one, especially when it comes to pitching around No. 8 hitter Nick Punto and enticing La Russa to send up a pinch-hitter from his deep and talented bench.
The forecast still calls for chilly temperatures in St. Louis, though there's no rain in sight and the wind has died down some, so it should make for a more comfortable environment for everyone at Busch Stadium…
107th WORLD SERIES – GAME 2
TEXAS RANGERS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WSPZ (570 AM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 49 degrees, Wind 12 mph LF to RF
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Elvis Andrus
LF Josh Hamilton
1B Michael Young
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day