Oct 20, 2011, 11:30 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Hitting coach Mark McGwire congratulates Jason Motte following last night's win.
I hope I wasn't the only one who really enjoyed watching Game 1 of the World Series last night, happy to see a couple of aces actually pitch well and a tight, one-run game come down to a couple of key moments that tested both managers' ability to utilize both their benches and their bullpens. If that was an indication of things to come, this could be a really compelling series.
We'll have to see if the trend continues tonight in Game 2, though, with the spotlight now on Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia and Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis. Obviously, Texas faces some pressure to win this game and avoid falling into a 2-0 hole heading back home over the weekend.
The pressure also is on Ron Washington to not let Tony La Russa dictate the matchups the way he did during some crucial moments last night. It'll be real interesting to see if Washington does anything different in this one, especially when it comes to pitching around No. 8 hitter Nick Punto and enticing La Russa to send up a pinch-hitter from his deep and talented bench.
The forecast still calls for chilly temperatures in St. Louis, though there's no rain in sight and the wind has died down some, so it should make for a more comfortable environment for everyone at Busch Stadium…
107th WORLD SERIES – GAME 2
TEXAS RANGERS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WSPZ (570 AM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 49 degrees, Wind 12 mph LF to RF
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Elvis Andrus
LF Josh Hamilton
1B Michael Young
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position