Oct 23, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Albert Pujols had a performance for the ages last night in Game 3.
When you're one of only three players in baseball to do something, and when the other two guys are named Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson, it's safe to say you've done something special. Actually, there's an argument to be made that Albert Pujols last night produced the greatest offensive performance in World Series history, not only homering three times to match The Babe and Mr. October but amassing a series-record 14 total bases.
So the question now is: What can the Rangers possibly do to contain this guy? And will it even matter? Certainly, Texas faces a daunting challenge tonight, now trailing the series 2-1 and staring at a virtual must-win scenario in Game 4. Yes, they'd still be mathematically alive if they lose tonight. But it's tough to see them winning three straight, the final two on the road.
So the pressure's on Derek Holland, the Rangers' Game 4 starter, to put forth some quality innings tonight. After burning up their bullpen last night, the Rangers simply can't afford another brief outing from their starter…
107th WORLD SERIES – GAME 4
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at TEXAS RANGERS
Where: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 75 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF
SS Rafael Furcal
RF Allen Craig
1B Albert Pujols
LF Matt Holliday
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair