Oct 24, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Rangers came roaring back last night to even up the series.
Two important things happened last night at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington: 1) Derek Holland turned in one of the best World Series pitching performances in a really long time, and 2) Texas' victory ensured this series will go back to St. Louis for at least a Game 6.
Which means tonight's game can't decide the Fall Classic. Though it can certainly go a long way toward deciding who ultimately wins this thing. I would contend the pressure is still on the Rangers to win tonight; the last thing they want is to go to Busch Stadium down 3-2.
But that means Texas is going to have to beat Chris Carpenter, who tossed a gem in Game 1 and will be again pitching on full rest. Which also means C.J. Wilson is going to have to be at his very best, building off his strong outing in the series opener and forgetting about those disastrous starts from earlier in the postseason.
In the 41 previous World Series that were tied 2-2, the winner of Game 5 went on to win it all 27 times. Obviously, being up 3-2 is a nice advantage, though it's not an insurmountable deficit…
107th WORLD SERIES – GAME 5
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at TEXAS RANGERS
Where: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 79 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF
SS Rafael Furcal
RF Allen Craig
1B Albert Pujols
LF Matt Holliday
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win