Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson expects to do this plenty of times in 2012.
When Davey Johnson, asked Monday what his expectation for the Nationals will be next season, responded that he'd be "sorely disappointed" if they don't contend for the NL pennant, you might have predicted the response to sound something like a pack of laughing hyenas.
Except that's not what you heard, around D.C. or around baseball. The prevailing sentiment across the sport was something along the lines of: "Wow, these guys mean business."
That's not to say the majority of observers out there — Nationals supporters or not — honestly believe this franchise is going to seriously contend for a spot in the 2012 World Series. But it does appear most everyone acknowledges it won't be much longer before the Nats will be in position to do just that.
All anyone has to do is look at a roster that will include Ryan Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann, Jayson Werth,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees
- Harper and Williams ejected again, Nats rally again