Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson expects to do this plenty of times in 2012.
When Davey Johnson, asked Monday what his expectation for the Nationals will be next season, responded that he'd be "sorely disappointed" if they don't contend for the NL pennant, you might have predicted the response to sound something like a pack of laughing hyenas.
Except that's not what you heard, around D.C. or around baseball. The prevailing sentiment across the sport was something along the lines of: "Wow, these guys mean business."
That's not to say the majority of observers out there — Nationals supporters or not — honestly believe this franchise is going to seriously contend for a spot in the 2012 World Series. But it does appear most everyone acknowledges it won't be much longer before the Nats will be in position to do just that.
All anyone has to do is look at a roster that will include Ryan Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann, Jayson Werth,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates