Nov 4, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Bryce Harper is tearing up the Arizona Fall League.
This just in: Bryce Harper is really good.
OK, so that's not exactly breaking news, but what the 19-year-old phenom has been doing for the last week in Arizona is bordering on the ludicrous.
After going 3-for-3 with a homer and two walks yesterday, Harper has posted the following stat line over his last six games: .522 average (12-for-23), five homers, 17 RBI and a 1.794 OPS that is too gargantuan to believe.
Remember that sluggish start he got off to in the Arizona Fall League? Yeah, that's kind of a thing of the past now. In 17 overall games with the Scottsdale Scorpions, Harper is now batting .323 with six homers, 23 RBI, a .400 on-base percentage and a .677 slugging percentage that ranks second in the AFL behind only Padres third baseman Jedd Gyorko (.702).
Now, the competition level in the AFL ain't exactly chump change. If anything, this is as impressive a collection of talent as you'll see inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win