Nov 4, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang re-signed with the Nationals for one year and $4 million.
Though he believes his club already has “six or seven quality guys that we can call upon to start in the major leagues,” Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo acknowledges he’s still looking to add another veteran to his suddenly deep rotation.
Rizzo — in formally announcing the re-signing of right-hander Chien-Ming Wang to a one-year, $4 million contract this afternoon — spoke glowingly about the pitching depth the Nationals have assembled while at the same time hinting at the type of free agent he’d still like to add this winter.
What type of pitcher is that?
“The type of pitcher we’re looking for is a good leader,” Rizzo said. “That throws a lot of innings. That has shown that he can win in the big leagues. And can really lead our staff, not by having the best stuff on the staff, but by showing how to be a professional and how to be a winner and how to pitch 200 innings in a season many, many times in
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth
- LaRoche hopes to be a National 'for the rest of my career'
- MLB announces World Series schedule