Nov 5, 2011, 4:26 AM EST
File photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Sammy Solis dominated during a four-inning outing Friday night.
Mike Rizzo raved Friday afternoon about the depth of quality starting pitchers now in the Nationals' organization, insisting there are eight or nine guys who legitimately deserve to start in the big leagues in 2012.
And that doesn't even include the next wave of pitching prospects in the Nationals' farm system, a group of arms not quite ready for the majors but perhaps not too far off.
Included in that next wave is Sammy Solis, the left-hander who was the top pick in the second round of the 2010 draft and on Friday night put together a dominating performance in the Arizona Fall League.
Over four scoreless innings for the Scottsdale Scorpions, Solis struck out nine batters (most by any pitcher in the AFL this season). He did give up three hits while walking three, but the 23-year-old more than made up for it with his run of K's.
Four of Solis' strikeouts were on swings and misses by members of the Phoenix Desert Dogs lineup, and five of the last six outs he recordedRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list