Nov 7, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond and the Nats and in better shape than Adam Jones and the O's.
Ask a bunch of local baseball observers which of the region's two franchises is closer to contention, the Nationals or the Orioles, and the answer will be unanimous. Of course the Nats are in better shape than their American League counterparts up the road. There's nothing close to a debate to be had here.
Which actually is a remarkable development in itself, because it wasn't that long ago that the Orioles appeared to be the better-positioned franchise of the two.
Think back just three short years ago, when the Nationals were coming off a 102-loss season and attempting to construct a winner around a lineup that featured Lastings Milledge and Elijah Dukes and a rotation anchored by Shawn Hill and Jason Bergmann. At the same time, the Orioles (while hardly world beaters at 68-94) looked like they were on the right track with Nick Markakis, Adam Jones and a bunch of talented young pitchers who were about to arrive on the scene.
Read this paragraph I wrote on June 17, 2008, comparing the state of baseball in Washington to Baltimore:
"The moves Andy MacPhail has made since taking over have been quite dramatic and have completely reshaped the organization'sRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins