Nov 10, 2011, 1:14 AM EST
Updated at 12:04 a.m.
According to the Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional, four gunmen approached Ramos at his home in the Santa Ines section of the city of Valencia and took him away. Family members have informed police but have not yet heard from the kidnappers.
The Tigres de Aragua, the Venezuelan team Ramos played for last winter, posted the news on its Twitter account this evening. Translated from Spanish, the tweet reads: “Unfortunately the news of the kidnapping of Wilson Ramos was confirmed, allegedly the same happened at his home in Valencia.”
The Nationals have not yet confirmed the report, but a club official said the team is gathering information and will make a statement once it knows more.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'