Nov 12, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Wilson Ramos is hugged by a family member after he was rescued last night.
Venezuelan police commandos raided a house in the mountains about an hour from Wilson Ramos' home last night, exchanged gunfire with the catcher's abductors and then rescued him from a bedroom and whisked him away to be reunited with family members.
"The truth is, at the moment they came to get me I was very nervous," Ramos told reporters early this morning outside his family's house. "There were many gunshots … thanks to God, those guys did a tremendous job. I'm super grateful to them."
Roughly 51 hours after he was abducted by four armed men outside his home near Valencia, Ramos was back at the same location, greeted by ecstatic family members, friends, media and other well-wishers who had been anxiously awaiting his return.
"Thanks to God!" Ramos' mother, Maria Campos, exclaimed on Venezuelan television. "Thanks to my country, to my neighbors and toRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats