Nov 12, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Wilson Ramos is hugged by a family member after he was rescued last night.
Venezuelan police commandos raided a house in the mountains about an hour from Wilson Ramos' home last night, exchanged gunfire with the catcher's abductors and then rescued him from a bedroom and whisked him away to be reunited with family members.
"The truth is, at the moment they came to get me I was very nervous," Ramos told reporters early this morning outside his family's house. "There were many gunshots … thanks to God, those guys did a tremendous job. I'm super grateful to them."
Roughly 51 hours after he was abducted by four armed men outside his home near Valencia, Ramos was back at the same location, greeted by ecstatic family members, friends, media and other well-wishers who had been anxiously awaiting his return.
"Thanks to God!" Ramos' mother, Maria Campos, exclaimed on Venezuelan television. "Thanks to my country, to my neighbors and toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch